Want to start your car without depressing the clutch?

• Sponsors (?)

I've seen a manually shifted car w/ remote start jump into a store window before... The guy was shopping and didn't know the button was pushed while his keys were in his pocket.
This was while I worked at a car audio shop and one of our major competitors installed the alarm/remote start in the guys car. We had a new customer after that happened.

I call bull****. I have set mine up several times in first gear with the parking break off just to see what happens. It jerks about 2 inches, then shuts down. With the parking break on it jerks, but doesn't move.

I installed a toggle switch between the two clutch sensor wires so I can disable this feature when I don't need it. I still believe that our transmissions have some sort of neutral safety switch built into them. one day I will figure out where it is and remove the clutch pedal sensor wiring and go that route.

Besides, with remote start it only cranks the motor for a certain period of time (at least the viper does). The default is .8sec, there is no way that is enough time to propel your car into a wall.

After you break a clutch cable, then you know why this is a good thing. My factory clutch cable was a POS on my Porsche, and it unfrayed and snapped. I had no way of driving......until my uncle said disconnect the safety switch, put it in first, start it, and it will drive. It drove plenty well. No clutch upshift was easy, but I couldn't down shift it. I just had to drive it a few miles to his house, than we rigged up a cable from a GM auto trans. It worked beautifully, looked better, felt better, and I saved $350 the Porsche dealer wanted for a thin little girly man stock clutch cable. Be smarter than your transmission. What kind of idiot unintentionally starts a car in gear? Check the shifter first, then start the car. I guess the majority of people learn on auto's, so manual's are a bit tricker for them!

I wired up a killswitch on my old 91 ranger on that clutch switch, since you didn't have to have a key to start it, and the doors didn't lock. It worked, for the month that the starter stayed alive. I push started that thing for almost half a year!

Just remember, anything can happen. I was wiring up an amp in the same truck, and accidentally hit the solenoid with the amp wire. Since my parking brake never worked, it was in gear, and the truck jumped forward, and launched me a few feet, since I was kneeling on the core support. Dangerous!

You know those late 80's and early 90's Rangers had only like ten key combo's? My friend had a 94, and I had a 91. My door key would open his door with a little work, and his door key would open my door no problem. Both our ignition keys were pretty close, and I am sure with a little finese we could have started each others truck.

k not sure if anyone posted this but i got tired of reading.

All you need to do is pull out the harness to the clutch switch and put a small standard blade fuse in it. that way if you want to undo it you just plug it back in. Easy fix ( not sure on your year but i have done this on an 02 and an 04 for installing remote start systems).

You know those late 80's and early 90's Rangers had only like ten key combo's? My friend had a 94, and I had a 91. My door key would open his door with a little work, and his door key would open my door no problem. Both our ignition keys were pretty close, and I am sure with a little finese we could have started each others truck.

The door key for my current 92 Ranger is the same as my roommate's sister's 91 Mustang LX. The ignition almost starts it, too. I actually made a double-cut key out of the two ignition ones.

I call bull****. I have set mine up several times in first gear with the parking break off just to see what happens. It jerks about 2 inches, then shuts down. With the parking break on it jerks, but doesn't move.

I installed a toggle switch between the two clutch sensor wires so I can disable this feature when I don't need it. I still believe that our transmissions have some sort of neutral safety switch built into them. one day I will figure out where it is and remove the clutch pedal sensor wiring and go that route.

Besides, with remote start it only cranks the motor for a certain period of time (at least the viper does). The default is .8sec, there is no way that is enough time to propel your car into a wall.

you can call bs... i wouldn't believe it if i didn't see it. the guy had a cheap remote start and it was installed at a hack car audio store as well.

Keep in mind if you do this you can't race at the track. They check to make sure the car won't start without the clutch pushed in.

At least New England Dragway does this.

How hard is it to push the clutch in to start? You gotta do it to put it into gear anyway, just push it in, start car, select gear and go.

That's why you just carry the jumper from an automatic in your glove box for when you wanna go without the feature and put it back in the glove box and hook the switch back up the rest of the time such as track days. *Yawns*

My point for not doing it is not from somebody trying to start the car in gear, but rather when somebody is working on your car.

E brakes on many cars don't work very well and I don't trust my expensive toolbox ( right in front of the car when I have it on the lift) to a E brake, so many techs leave the car in gear.. after that all it would take is a socket or a wrench or anything metal to touch the starter terminals and now you can get trapped in between a toolbox or work bench and the car.. I have seen this happen before..

or EVEN WORSE, what if you have a ignition switch go bad or a short to power in the dash, you could end up with a run a way car, I know the chances are small but it could happen.

There is a reason many companies will not install a remote start on a stick shift car, it's just flat out dangerous..

To me removing this feature for no reason is just idiotic.. and possibly could open you up to civil and criminal legal problems if god forbid a serious accident did occur.