Water temp sending unit...

5.0CRAZY

Founding Member
May 17, 2002
Frozen North
Did a search but couldn't find info specific enough for my question.

Just bought a autometer mech oil pressure, and electric water temp guage. The water temp guage didn't come with a sender (got it used) and I only have about 6inches of the wire which is supposed to run to the sender.

My question is, since I assume the temp sender is a thermistor, does it have to be matched with the sender unit wire to the gauge? IE, does the resistance of the wire have to be a specific/ calibrated amount? Or can I just buy regular wiring?

• Sponsors (?)

Also, was the mechanical oil pressure gauge supposed to come with some kind of a sender unit as well? It just came with the nylon line and fittings on either end. During my search I saw people mentioning a mechanical oil Px sender?

The resistance of the sender is so high in comparison to the resistance of the gauge leads that it does not matter if it is .5 ohms or 2.0 ohms.

Mechanical pressures gauges have no sender. However, it is a good idea to put a flow restrictor in the supply line as close to the engine as possible. That way if the line fails, you won't pump all your oil out.

attachment.php