Well, now I've gone and done it...(Important Questions)

My 4th gear started to grind about a week ago, so I have been going easy on the tranny. Well, last night, I was crusing, and at a stop light, my shifter wouldnt come out of 4th. After about 5 min of coaxing, I got it out. I figured I better get her home. On my way it started to get stuck in 3rd, then 2nd, then in my driveway it got stuck in 1st. Now I cant get it to move anywhere. My mechanic told me that with 4th gear grinding I put metal shaving in the tranny, and that its trash. My car is bone stock.

So my qustions are these; Anybody got any opioions on my problem? Where is a good online tranny source (Jeggs Summit etc)? Since I have to buy a new one, Im gonna get a bad mutha..so can I change out a few gears in the tranny to make it run any faster? And last one, Is there any brands that is suggested?

• Sponsors (?)

Most definately get a Tremmec imo. your tranny grinding INTO gear could be a snycro or somethin, but dont know but whatever it is your prolly better of gettin a new tranny than rebuilding the sad t-5. I would say tremmec or there is another tranny out there but i cant think of the name. good luck

Before you go blowing over a grand on a tranny you might want to have a look at your clutch cable,,,,could be a bad/stretched cable not letting the tranny in and out of gear. May or may not be your problem but its probally a good idea to look at it before dumping that kind of money.........

I had the same problem with the T-5 in my 95 GTS, it finally just died so I ordered up a TKO-500, form D&D performance in wixom MI excellent to work with. I couldn't be happier. once you drive it, you'l be glad you bought a Tremec

I got a z rated T-5 (300lb TQ) & King Cobra clutch kit I'm selling @ Mustang Corral on consignment, my price is $600 for all of it, tranny works great & clutch is like new.

I would go with a t56. But if your car is "all stock" as you say anything more then a standard t5 is just gonna be overkill. But hey your money.

<-- just had his t5 rebuild for 620$ out the door less then a week ago Including labor for install + removal.

I'd say t56, you'll probably gain a little more torque, along with some top due to the sixth gear. The bad thing I see is loosing some acceleration time due to another gear, but if you are good at speed shifting, no worries. They go for about $1800-$2200 I think.

5.0 Fiend said:
I'd say t56, you'll probably gain a little more torque, along with some top due to the sixth gear. The bad thing I see is loosing some acceleration time due to another gear, but if you are good at speed shifting, no worries. They go for about $1800-$2200 I think.

Gaining torque from a transmission? :shrug: