went to track wtf happened?

302fordracer

Mar 27, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I went to the track and I had some serious trouble missing third...missed it just about every f**cking time...but still I had a couple of clean runs (had to baby it into third tho) and I couldn't break this for some reason:

r/t .133
60' 2.111
1/8th 9.4 @76.7
1/4 14.5 @ 96.7

It was my first time driving at the track and I was on street tires but wtf?? with the dyno numbers I put down and the mods I have I was expecting much better...a new clutch is in order which I am sure will help a bit so I dont have to baby it into third...but I just seriously dont understand..weather was good dry and cool wanna say low 60s...my shifts looked like: 1st to 2nd at 4900, 2nd to 3rd at 5000, 3rd to 4th at 5100

• Sponsors (?)

1. If you have to baby it into -any- gear, you are not going to get the times you hope for. You must drive it like you hate it.

2. Your first time on the track will never be good, you need some practice.

3. 4900-5100 is lower than I would shift. I do 5200 for a stock 5.0, with the intake manifold you have I'd bump that up a few hundred RPM.

4. I'm guessing you went to PIR. As far as drag tracks go, it's one of the slowest.

I agree with Rootus....You have to really slam those gears to make them go sometimes. Your foot should never let up on the gas pedal until the race is through. Try shifting 3-400 RPM higher than what you are at now. A friend of mine has a similar setup. The main differences are his is a 306 with a cam. He ran 13.7's consistently. Good luck next time!

BTW launch on the last yellow, and remember keep the pedal to the metal and slam those gears as hard as you can. :flag:

i agree w/ the above i have the same intake set up and i shift around 550 you should be able to feel when your car stops pulling, thats the point where u want to shift.really quick shifts will also improve yur times granny shifting will get ya no where.short throw if ya dont already have one and stay on the wick at all times.

Yeah i dunno about those times with 2.1 60fts i was going 13.60s @101.50-102 with similar mods and making 249rwhp on one dyno and 251rwhp on a different dyno. That was with similar mods with my stock heads and cam. I shifted my biach at 6,000rpm which some say is too high but it seemed to work for my car.

302fordracer said:
well my plans are to install the heads, a spec stage 2 clutch, pro 5.0, and some control arms...if by then I am not well into the 13s even at crappy P.I.R. then I quit....
Don't get too wrapped up in a first night performance. I think you aren't too far off, maybe a little low in trap speeds, which suggests you haven't found the sweet spot for shifting, and that you could probably benefit from practicing speed shifting. Practice practice practice! One of these days I'm going to head down to PIR to watch, if you're there I'll listen to your shifts, and tell you if they're fast enough :jester: :lol:.

Oh, and BTW... when you get sick of drag racing, come join us on an track day and use the -whole- track :D.

Dave

I NEVER miss a gear at the track, get a pro5.0, triax, or MGW.

Yesterday I ran 14.2's @ 96mph, but it was like 80* & EXTREMELY humid, I had the heavy TTII's up front, and did no weight loss (pass seat in, sub in trunk). So, get some sticky tires (this is an absolute must), drive it like a madman, and you should run 13.7's.

the other problem I havent mentioned was that while I was able to slip the clutch enough to get traction off the line...I spun 2nd a little and chirped 3rd and 4th...do you guys think this had an effect on the time?? I will be doing dr's before my next run for sure