What An I Doing Wrong.....

Phatt_daddy

Apr 22, 2005
Hytop, AL
working on a 00 v6 auto. Just got through replacing the engine and trans.... engine was from a 00 v6 w 100k miles and trans wss from an 03 with about 120k miles. engine is running great but when I put it into gear it dies. What could it possibly be causing this?

Thanks
Nate

• Sponsors (?)

First. Are you positive that the torque converter was fully seated on the pump before mating the motor and transmission? The torque converter should have been easy to spin the torque converter once the motor was in place. No pressure between the flex plate and the the torque converter.

My 1996 GT was undriveable after every battery disconnect. It would die the instant put into gear. This would continue until the PCM had re-learned new IAC idle trim values. This involved allowing the motor to idle in park long enough to get near full operating temperature. Put the car into neutral with your foot on the brake (AC off) for 2 minutes. Then repeat with the AC on. After this it could be driven normally.

If that doesn't fix the issue then the next thing to double check is IF the PCM is getting a good signal from the transmission DTR range sensor. IE the PCM needs to "know" what position the PRNDL is in. The easiest way to do this is with an ODB2 scanner that is capable of reading operational data PID's.

Here's some information on an affordable Windows based ODB2 scanner.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/forscan-odb2-scanner-w-elm327-usb.57/

Here's some more information on how to trouble shoot idle/IAC issues.

Troubleshoot IAC idle problems 1996-2004
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/resources/troubleshoot-iac-idle-problems-1996-2004.13/

Last edited:
working on a 00 v6 auto. Just got through replacing the engine and trans.... engine was from a 00 v6 w 100k miles and trans wss from an 03 with about 120k miles. engine is running great but when I put it into gear it dies. What could it possibly be causing this?

Thanks
Nate
Torque Converter Clutch, killing engine by brute force as soon as initial transmission engagement occurs. Cause: Mechanically Damaged TCC (least likely, IMO), TCC Solenoid malfunction, signal failure to Solenoid due to electrical harness problem, or connector at transmission. Control Valve Body, damaged, loose fasteners, gasket problem. In that order.

Check for trouble codes. I wouldn't bet "the barn" on it, but suspect you will find TCC Failure, TCC Solenoid Failure, Incorrect Gear Ratio (due to detection of eng. speed and transmission input shaft speed being equal), or a combination of those. When you put an automatic transmission "in gear", brakes secured, eng. speed remains ~ at idle speed, while input shaft speed must be = to Zero. imp

your trans is the wrong year for your computer,you will have to change out your trans for the 2000, must also be for a v6 or your computer wil not recognize this trans, I did the same thing,

Reactions: 1 user