What are some good/informative books on the 5.0?

acc14

Feb 10, 2002
Decatur, Al
I'm not talking about manuals either. I am looking for books that explain the EEC operation, as well as other common mods. One that will go into detail, covering subjects from the engine, suspension, body work, electronics etc... Though, I'm mainly looking for books that cover the engine/drivetrain and electronics. I've seen my friend loose a lot of money through his car because he won't take the time to learn how to do the work himself, and I don't want to go down that road. I've seen some books in the Summit catalog, but don't know how good they are, and that's why I'm asking this here. I figure it's better to invest in the knowlegde up front, rather than spend 10K to 20K in mods and labor only to have the car not run right, and eventually blow up. Thanks for any info one can provide.

Adam

• Sponsors (?)

What I understand to be the definitive book on the EEC system is "How to Understand, Service and Modify Ford fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control" by Charles Probst, SAE. Available thru such places as Amazon, maybe Barnes & Noble, etc. For the mechanical aspects, the book titled "Ford Windsor Small Block Performance" by Isaac Martin, and the book "How to Rebuild Small Block Ford Engines" by Tom Monroe are also considered good basic tutorials, and although they deal mostly with the older versions, give you a wealth of basic rebuild and assembly info.

another Probst vote. dont know about the other aspects you are interested in.

Adam, i would add that this is (IMHO) one of the best resources going. :nice: