What are the signs of a bent valve or damaged valve?

• Sponsors (?)

undercover50 said:
What are the signs of a bent valve without taking the heads off how would the car respond when driving ?

Thanxs
i would think that a dry then wet compression test (or leakdown) would show something. as for driving symptoms, i think it would depend on how bad it was bent. you should hear some missing/backfiring in any case.

undercover50 said:
What are the signs of a bent valve without taking the heads off how would the car respond when driving ?

Thanxs

This normally won't happen unless you over-rev a motor. Like previous posters stated, you should be hearing an audible miss/backfire. A leakdown test might isolate the cylinder where you're having a problem if that is indeed the case.

well about 2 weeks ago my timing chain broke and I bent 8 pushrods after the push rods were replaced along with the timing chain my stang does not pull as hard as it did before and it shakes during hard acceleration around 3500 -5500 rpms it does not make any noise or anything I was wondering if I mabye damaged a valve or something......

undercover50 said:
well about 2 weeks ago my timing chain broke and I bent 8 pushrods after the push rods were replaced along with the timing chain my stang does not pull as hard as it did before and it shakes during hard acceleration around 3500 -5500 rpms it does not make any noise or anything I was wondering if I mabye damaged a valve or something......
sorry to hear about that. couple things come to mind. did a shop do this work? (sounds like it the way you wrote it). if so, take it back and have them check it for free (they should have checked everything out before reassembly).
can you tell if the shakes are from a miss or just vib's (like a driveshaft outta phase). if its the latter, id be lookin at the balancer (perhaps it spun. the rubber gives out and the weights are outta phase). worth checking.
thats what comes to mind right now. give more info and we'll help. happy new year!

i had a problem with valve seat-valve guide alignment after i had a heads rebuilt i had a couple of valves get stuck. they hit the piston and bent, pushed out my rocker stud but did not bend the factory pushrods

the vibration I feel is coming it seems like under the stick shift of my car or behind the fire wall does still have some power but at around 3500 -5500 rpms it gets worse. The car makes no noise except the vibration noise. I live in Los Angeles..

undercover50 said:
the vibration I feel is coming it seems like under the stick shift of my car or behind the fire wall does still have some power but at around 3500 -5500 rpms it gets worse. The car makes no noise except the vibration noise. I live in Los Angeles..
I did have the shop do the work but they said that they need to take the heads off to see if I bent a valve and that would be extra..