What BRAND of 70mm throttle body

I just searched for like 30 minutes and it's too tough to filter through the tb size arguments on here! :nono:

What is the best brand and what do I need to consider when swapping out my FMS 65mm? I see a lot of TPS & gasket concerns and such, I also saw that FMS sells a 70mm, but for some reason it's a lot cheaper than the one I have now. Dunno the difference though, I see alot of BBK around but I'm aprehensive about their crap as I've been through some other issues with different parts.

thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

i happen to have that frpp 70mm tb. i dont know why its so cheap even though it comes polished and has a tps sensor but not mounted. i havent had an issue with it yet. another nice thing about it is its got that purch that the tps is mounted on that allows you to adjust the throttle position without lossening the actual sensor. ive also had the bbk 70mm and the ony thing i liked more about that one was that the tps already came mounted so there was no reason to re-adjust anything. but for the price that you get the ford one for, and the fact that it looks nicer, i would go with fords tb

If you are staying with a 94/95 style throttle body, BBK and Professional Products are about all there is to choose from. Summit has one, but it looks just like the Pro Products one that has been re-badged with the Summit logo. The FMS one also appears to be a Pro Products re-badging.

Let me look around in my basement. For some reason, I have this gut feeling that I might have a BBK 70mm sitting down there. If so, I'll sell it to you for less than you could get it elsewhere if you are interested.

that would be wonderful, thanks. I can probably fetch a decent price for selling the 65mm too...
well i looked and i don't see it. i probably sold it a while ago and just didn't remember it. now that i'm 48, those moments seem to come more frequently :(

are you really sure you need a throttle body bigger than 65mm though? have you seen paul's thread about the throttle body comparisons?

rj95svt said:
The gains will be minimal. I would keep the FMS 65mm since they are good quality.
Not so. It all depends on the supporting mods and, in my opinion, the biggest being the intake manifold opening size. For example, a 65mm won't be better/worse than a 70mm if the intake manifold opening is only 60mm.

Their sig. says H/C/I plus injectors, gears, fuel pump etc. I am not saying the car will run liked a raped ape, but I would think, with the intake opening the same size, to see some gains. Maybe not in HP, but say all along the power band.

Killercanary only picked up 10 hp going from a 65mm FMS sn95 TB to a fox style 75mm accufab on a 331 that makes 380rwhp. You will notice what seems to be better throttle response but thats about it.

There may be a 5hp increase at most in my opinion.

The gains will be minimal. I would keep the FMS 65mm since they are good quality.
Very minimal and possibly just a waste of money. The only thing that matters is what the entire top end can handle. If your intake only supports x amount of CFM and your heads only support x CFM, do you really think going with a tb that flows twice as much as they can handle is worth it?

Not so. It all depends on the supporting mods and, in my opinion, the biggest being the intake manifold opening size. For example, a 65mm won't be better/worse than a 70mm if the intake manifold opening is only 60mm.

Their sig. says H/C/I plus injectors, gears, fuel pump etc. I am not saying the car will run liked a raped ape, but I would think, with the intake opening the same size, to see some gains. Maybe not in HP, but say all along the power band.

This is what I'm going for....I love the 65mm and I did lots of research before buying it. Gains are there for the taking with my car, and I understand they dont necessarily have to do with the throttle body. My motivation is to match the 70mm opening to the intake and intake elbow, it just makes sense to me and my tuner is pushing me hard to do this before another tune (a different thread).

My idles fine but it could be better, I also get occasional stalling ect and the tuner feels I'll get the very best drivability if I straighten out and add uniformity from the MAF to the intake. That entials a 70mm tb, a smaller MAF and a home made CAI (which I made and another shop chopped to hell).

**Blackvert thanks so much for looking and yes I saw the thread, but I gotta say again I've made my choice and I'm just looking to get the best quality part in there possible. It's not a strip car, rather just a street combo that I want to run the best it can**

Some authorites would suggest that too much air can actually hurt the performance. 302's dont like too much air. this cat said (Dallas Mustang) that the size depends on your other mods. If you have cam, heads, a 70mm (didnt mention a brand, I have BBK) TB is perfect. For a simple cold air/Exhaust setup a 65mm is fine. My bbk is great, but my Mod motor had a precision plus plentum/tb and it was good. I would not suggest them due to their planeness.

My feeling is ... if you pick up anything ... it will be small :shrug:

Seems like you were saying in a different thread :scratch:
you were too rich and if that is so ... I'd focus on the basics
of optimum spark and fuel in the tune.

Grady

Some authorites would suggest that too much air can actually hurt the performance. 302's dont like too much air. this cat said (Dallas Mustang) that the size depends on your other mods. If you have cam, heads, a 70mm (didnt mention a brand, I have BBK) TB is perfect. For a simple cold air/Exhaust setup a 65mm is fine. My bbk is great, but my Mod motor had a precision plus plentum/tb and it was good. I would not suggest them due to their planeness.

Could you explain what I highlighted in bold a little more.

Why would an engine not want air? :)

My feeling is ... if you pick up anything ... it will be small :shrug:

Seems like you were saying in a different thread :scratch:
you were too rich and if that is so ... I'd focus on the basics
of optimum spark and fuel in the tune.

Grady

You are correct sir! :cool:

That was the basis of getting it retuned in the first place, and is definately still my focus. The tuners take on it that he can produce a more accurate tune with the changes stated above. He will only tune on a Mustang Dyno due to the fact he can tune at different rpm's/with load ect.