What cold air intake and filter are you using in your foxbody?

Mindseye007

Oct 21, 2020
ontario
I am running the stock Air box with the silencer removed and a K&N air filter. Actually removing the air silencer was the very first mod I did on my 1991 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe, I read about it in the magazine 5.0

Attachments

• mustang-factory-air-intake-kit-reproduction-89-93-5-0_1c58f9d7 (2).jpg
    mustang-factory-air-intake-kit-reproduction-89-93-5-0_1c58f9d7 (2).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 16
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 33-2015_2.jpg
    33-2015_2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Quality (read: Not made in China) paper air filters have proven over and again to be less restrictive than a K&N with the added advantage of not misting oil over the Mass Air Sensor.

However, the K&N outperforms the paper filter when both are dirty. :O_o:

Reactions: 1 user
Stock Airbox with silencer removed. I think I have a K&N filter in there. Not exactly sure :)

I should probably check as I meant to get one but can't remember if i actually did.

Last edited:
Let me tell you a story. (I'm good at ramble'n on after all)
The story of a 1997 Super Duty w/ 7.3 Powerstroke turbo tow truck.
Affectionately called 'The Dump Truck'
The second owner (me) picked it up in 1999 (late in the year) with like, 97k on the clock.
I soon found that the air filter (stock) needed to be changed between 12 and 15k miles, at 40 bucks a pop!! So this is every 3 months or so, I started looking into K & N filters, all I cared about was that they were reusable, clean it, let it dry, spray the sticky red stuff on, let it dry (it does not really dry up) and send it.
Remember this is a turbo, that thing will pull air through a shty diaper.
500,000+ miles later......same filter element, cleaned and re-oiled about every 15k(+- a few) miles, do the math, about 30 times (give or take).
I've had the intake tubes and housing duct work off and could see the impeller of the turbo and everything was clean, no filter spray residue, anywhere in the intake duct work,
Now, back then K&N was the only reusable game in town, now there are literally a dozen brands that claim to be 'reusable ', I can only testify to the K&N brand and my experience, use at your own risk, results may very.
Thank You.
Class dismissed.

• Happy
Reactions: 2 users
20 years or so ago, an Auto Parts salesman friend of mine showed me graphs and videos of how a K&N will lose over 50% of its filtering capacity after one cleaning.....

That's due to K&N using enlarged pore sizing and relying on oil to capture particulates. usually once cleaned, folks inadequately reoil them and you lose filtration performance.

Of course it all depends on your use. If you are driving in the summer on clean pavement, it's less of an issue that if you are blasting down dirt roads in your Raptor.

Its a trade-off usually. You sacrifice retention for flow. Choose wisely

• Agree
My Tacoma has had the same KnN Cone for ten years and about 135K miles. Every six months or so I wash the black blob. I throw it in a five gallon bucket with degreaser to make a black soup. Then I hit it with the leaf blower and oil it....The 90 Fox has an Anderson Power pipe with a real nice cone filter in my fender that I have never seen since a Mustang mechanic stuck it in the fender two thousand miles ago. I need to poke around and see how it comes out.

That's due to K&N using enlarged pore sizing and relying on oil to capture particulates. usually once cleaned, folks inadequately reoil them and you lose filtration performance.

Of course it all depends on your use. If you are driving in the summer on clean pavement, it's less of an issue that if you are blasting down dirt roads in your Raptor.

Its a trade-off usually. You sacrifice retention for flow. Choose wisely
All I do with my K&N every year is pull it out hold it up to the sun and if I can see thru it I just re oil it and pop it back in , never gave me problems. Saved alot of money that way to.