What do you guys think??

Timm10221

Aug 29, 2006
So i just got my shift kit in and i picked up the car and the tech wanted to talk to me ... I was like ummm this aint good, so i got back to the cave and he greets me and goes right into this spill:

"to begin with your shifts were really soft and when i took out the VB on your tranny i noticed Friction Material in there as well as a checkball being stuck. This means that you might have worn out cluch packs and that will explain the soft shifting. I put the shift kit in and it did firm up your shifts a little but not to its full potential. I recommend a rebuild of your tranny and while we do the rebuild instead of stock stuff going back in we can put in better stuff to handel more HP and really give you a race tranny"

Thats the jits of it, so i went back to the office and talk to charles on prices and i am looking at around 1800 to 2100 buck for the rebuild depending on the parts i get, if i get stock stuff or performance. This is at an AAMCO, and i guess after the rebuild i get a warranty. What do you guys think i should do?? Should i get the rebuild with kick ass parts and a high stall converter or say screw it run it till it dies and buy a new performance tranny.... I did just spend all together parts and everything 300 bucks so i really dont want to throw that away but what are some options... thoughts on this .

Tim

• Sponsors (?)

I would say f*&^ it and drive it till it pops. Chances are is will run for quite some time as long as you keep your fluid clean. I might suggest changing it a time or two in the next couple thousand miles just to sort of wash the crud out.

yea that kinda what i wanted to do.... I was really hopeing to get the trick flow top end kit in buy march time. I will see how she is doing by then and make the choice to get the top end kit or tranny.... Hell who knows i might even have 10,000 miles left in it or more.. which would give me around a year haha. thanx for your help
Tim

AAMCO? They are crooks and they suck at rebuilds. There is horror stories all over the internet about there crapp rebuilds. My dumbass boss had one of his work trucks get the tranny rebuilt there. My god did that thing shift like crap. Needless to say, he traded the truck in a month later. Everytime you bring something to them, they want to rebuild it. For that price you can get a nice brand new auto. I paid 2200 for a tremec tko600, the bellhousing, and clutch shipped to my door. I know its a manual but you get the idea. Just drive the thing and not spend any money, Ill bet that thing holds up for years to come.

AAMCO? They are crooks and they suck at rebuilds. There is horror stories all over the internet about there crapp rebuilds. My dumbass boss had one of his work trucks get the tranny rebuilt there. My god did that thing shift like crap. Needless to say, he traded the truck in a month later. Everytime you bring something to them, they want to rebuild it. For that price you can get a nice brand new auto. I paid 2200 for a tremec tko600, the bellhousing, and clutch shipped to my door. I know its a manual but you get the idea. Just drive the thing and not spend any money, Ill bet that thing holds up for years to come.

X2 For $2k you can get a nice built C-4 or a whole setup to switch to a good 5-speed. Just start researching for good trannies(not the ones with stuff that hangs). Also, manuals are alot more fun on the street :D Also, if you can get your skills dialed in you can earn some serious respect at the track for running consistent with a manual.

yea i know... I got a 2000 gt 5 speed, and then the car that was supposed to die on me is the 95 auto, so i got both :D ... I really wanted to make a killer track car with the 5.0 and a street car with the 2000, hell since you guys set me straight hahaha, i am going to go on with my plan to get the trick flow top end kit:nice: ... thanks for informing me of aamco! damm bastards. alright talk to yall later
Tim

I don't know if AAMCO really builds a performance tranny either. Has anyone had one of their built trannies? All I've ever heard from them is rebuilding stock transmissions. I just don't think that I would trust a performance tranny from them.

That price for a rebuild is just plain outragious, just go to www.eatmyshift.com and look at there trannies, I am going to go with their Heavy Duty Mega Monster AOD, it's only 1,295.00 and it's rated for up to 450 horse engines, they also have one rated to 275, and 600 horses.