What do you think of this T5 Ratio?

T5 in questions is out of a 1984 Ford Mustang with a 302 engine tag number 1352-065. The gear ratios are as follows 1st=2.95 , 2nd=1.94 , 3rd=1.34 , 4th=1.00 , 5th=0.63 , R=2.76. This T5 is a non world class unit so it will use 70W gear oil not dexron like the world class units.

I plan to put this in a 65 Coupe w/ a mildy built 289 and a 3:50 rear end gear? Mildly built means Preformer RMP package w/ stock heads and long tube headers, nothing more. Should I buy this one? Or look for a WorldClass w/ a different ratio? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I have 3.55 gears and the same T-5. It`s not a bad combo, although to run interstate you`ll have to run about 75mph in 5th or the motor isn`t in the sweet spot if you know what I mean, it kinda lugs under that. At least mine does, my cam is probably taller then yours though...

Let me know if you ever try and see how fast it`ll go at full throttle in 5th gear, I haven`t had the balls to try that yet...full throttle in 4th is plenty fast enough for my car.

I can't change my gears as they are all ready installed but I havent purcahsed the trans yet. This is just the specs of one I found locally and I am considering. So I should look for one w/ lower gears so I can use 5th @ about 65MPH. If the price is right I might just stick w/ this one......

I have the same trans in my '84 GT that was rebuilt and upgraded by Astro Performance running an SVO 3.45 gear set which works out well although there are times I wish I had gone with the 3.73 gears. BTW, the '84 T5 trans is supposed to run ATF not 70w gear oil.

you could go for that tranny if 1) it's in good repair now and 2) you're not planning on high RPM launches, etc (aka "abuse" - drive it like you stole it) ..... most new T5z's have a .63 5th gear, but you could order special final gear if needed .... I have a moderate built 302 with a T5z, 3.55 rear and 245-50R16 tires (26.5") ..... my engine doesn't like to run below 1800 and jsut loves to run 2k+ through 4K (it can go higher) ..... I created a spreadsheet that shows speed vs RPM for each gear as a function of rear ratio ..... I used this tool to set my normal driving RPM range from 2K to 3K ..... with this setup my shifts vs speed are 0-20; 20-30; 30-40; 40+ for fourth ..... upshift to 5th is around 62-65, but with my cam, I can go as low as 60 for flat crusing (actually I can run at 55 if it's level) .... the engine has good bottom-end torque, so it responds well to throttle burps in 5th ..... enough about me .... if your build is a "mild" 289" then you should have good vacuum/torque on the low side and do just fine .... your final setup would be very close to mine and I really like thiat combo for street driving with the occiasional interstate accel ramp romp (just to blow out the carbon so to speak) ..... btw, I checked all of the spreadsheet calcs against actual performance using GPS and my readings are within 1 MPH .... used a 20 thooth driven speedo cable gear ..... hth --- 67GTFB

The guy says he sells his rebuilt Non-World Class for $350-$400 and his World Class for $650.00. My engine will be very mild. I want this car to be functional, OK gas milage, used often and taken on 125 mile trips. What do you think? I'm leaning towards buying it......then I got to gather the rest of the parts to swap out the old C4 which I may put in a Bronco II w/ a swap V8 (If I ever get to it).

There are 3 main differences between the WC and Non-WC T5 transmissions. The WC uses needle bearings under its gears, it has fiber synchronzers, and the countershaft bearings are tapered roller bearings. The Non-WC T5 transmissions uses journals as the bearings under the gears, it uses brass synchronizers, and its countershaft bearings are straight roller bearings.

T5 in questions is out of a 1984 Ford Mustang with a 302 engine tag number 1352-065. The gear ratios are as follows 1st=2.95 , 2nd=1.94 , 3rd=1.34 , 4th=1.00 , 5th=0.63 , R=2.76. This T5 is a non world class unit so it will use 70W gear oil not dexron like the world class units.

I plan to put this in a 65 Coupe w/ a mildy built 289 and a 3:50 rear end gear? Mildly built means Preformer RMP package w/ stock heads and long tube headers, nothing more. Should I buy this one? Or look for a WorldClass w/ a different ratio? Thanks!

It sounds like you're looking at a T5z with those ratios. It's a nice tranny. I'm running a 3.55 with 25.6" wheels and at 70mph, I'm taching about 1950-2K Rs.
Good luck!

Just double check that tranny tag and make sure the input shaft is the correct diameter, I had a NWC sold to me and the guy said it came out of a 5.0 and i put a dial caliper on the stem of the input shaft and found out that it actually was for a 4 cyl. I told the guy and he didnt believe me, basically called me a liar....said he personally pulled it out of a 5.0....so I took a picture of the measurement, emailed it to him and he had to eat the shipping and send me a new transmission...so all's well now.

Just double check that tranny tag and make sure the input shaft is the correct diameter, I had a NWC sold to me and the guy said it came out of a 5.0 and i put a dial caliper on the stem of the input shaft and found out that it actually was for a 4 cyl. I told the guy and he didnt believe me, basically called me a liar....said he personally pulled it out of a 5.0....so I took a picture of the measurement, emailed it to him and he had to eat the shipping and send me a new transmission...so all's well now.
Glad you mentioned that, I had forgotten the 2.3L horror stories.

Anyone have an educational T5 link so I can do my research so I know what I'm buying is actually what is supposed to be? Thanks

It sounds like you're looking at a T5z with those ratios. It's a nice tranny. I'm running a 3.55 with 25.6" wheels and at 70mph, I'm taching about 1950-2K Rs.
Good luck!

This is exactly where I want to be, I may have slightly higher RPMs due to the slightly smaller tire.