What engine to buy?? suggestions/advice?

Fatbobsie

May 31, 2006
I could really use some good input for a new engine. Im looking to buy a new EFI engine/long block for my 89. Ive looked at DSS long blocks and ford racings crate engines. I want to shoot for 400hp and Im hoping to spend under 4500. The ford racing block comes with gt-40 heads and b303 cam ect.. for 3500(new waterpump,pan,valvecovers,ect. Obvioulsy Id have to switch something out to make 400 with that. The DSS 306/331 combos include better heads and many options for around 4500 and up. Ive heard some good things about DSS in the past but i dont know much. I want to do it right the first time and have a stong setup. im running only the necessaries on my setup..alternator/water pump. Ive gotten rid of everything else and plan to switch to manual steering when i do the swap. I have a tremec 3550 and a solid drivetrain. (boxed upper/lowers,subframes,rear rebuild,5lug) So the rest of the car can handle the power. Obviously ill have to do a pump upgrade and injectors. I have a cobra upper/lower intake which i plan to polish(internal). Also have a 75mm tb and FPR. I want to stay with EFI.

I dont want to spend the time and money to rebuild my engine because I feel I will spend as much as buying a new shortblock. If you disagree and have found better alternatives, please let me know. I would appreciate any and all advice on which engine to go with. Im not opposed to larger than 306 but id like to get reasonable mileage. This wont be a daily driver however so its not imperative. Thanks alot and sorry for the mess of a question!

• Sponsors (?)

You could build your motor and have a 347 for $4500. My buddy has that much in his, he is geting about 14mpg on it to (taking it easy). I have heard good stuff about DSS and i have heard bad. Don't really see the need to buy and for motor if you just going to be taking it apart and swaping stuff out from the get go. This is what i would do. Buy an 331 stroker kit have the block bored and clean up, put a set of afr's 185 heads on it with a trick flow stage 3 cam. But i don't think that cobra intake is going to be enough for that combo. So you may want to thing about upgrading it.

I cant see building my engine up for the same amount or a little less than buying a long block. Unless im saving aLOT of cash, id rather buy something built and balanced. I had a feeling id need to switch out that intake. Whats up with DSS? Any other companies I should look at???

I would build a motor you can have your block bored .30 over and buy a roatating assembly from CHP,DSS, or keith craft. Ive heard some bad things about dss used to be good but they seem to gone down hill. I'd do some researching before you go buy something. also if your looking to get heads and cam its good to match up your heads cam and intake.

Would rebuilding my engine be a better choice than buying an long block?? I have fairly good mech abilities but Ive never been into an engine. I dont have the tools or knowledge to balance the engine ect.. Not to say i couldnt get a book and learn if thats even a good idea. So id have to have it decked, bored, rebalanced, new freeze plugs and whatever else, buy necessary tools for engine building,buy rebuild kit, ect.., and whatever else.. OR pay someone to do it which i cant imagine would be cheap. Then when i get heads, id have to get rockers and hardware.. and whatever else..

Im sure Im missing something. If this can be done for much less than Im all for it but I just have NO real idea which route is the best. Can anyone help give me a good idea of what costs im looking at or which will be the most economical route in the long run???? I want to buy quality and something that will last me. What should i do?? Id REALLY appreciate your input. Thanks

SO can no one tell me which would be my best option here economically? Rebuild my engine with a 331 stroker kit and buy heads ect.. or just buy a long block. I need to hear from experience.

Depending on what kit you buy most come balanced. My buddy had his motor built for 4500 and its a 347 it required more machine work. We had $700 in all the machine work and they put the bottom end together. So I still think that it would be cheaper to built your motor. Still going to cost about the same to built a 351. And you will run in to other probable's with a 351 such as headers.