What Fuel System Set Up's For Those running Boot 500HP+

Venom351R

Founding Member
Apr 27, 2002
MAINE
Just as the title says what fuel system set ups or pumps are you guys running with boost and are at or over 500RWHP. Currently I have a 255LPH fuel pump but was told it may not be enough to support over 500 RWHP.

I was thinking of getting this...
Aeromotive 11101 - Aeromotive A1000 Fuel Pumps

But what else would I need to make this work, or what would you suggest for a Pump

Im trying to to break the bank w/ this such as getting the full fuel system that usually runs over $1,000. Also keep in mind future plans may include 550-600 at the wheels at a later date.

• Sponsors (?)

Fuel systems are one of those things you can spend as much as you want on them and still have something extra you want to buy to add onto the system.

For a low buck setup I've had good luck with cars upgrading the lines to -8 feed and -6 return and the appropriate rails and then using a 255HP pump in-tank and a 255 pusher pump inline.

Stepping it up I'd run two pumps parallel into a Y with a modified tank and the same sized lines.

Going even further a sumped tank with a similar parallel dual pump feed would be great.

Run the #s on the fuel you will need to flow (accounting for line losses etc) and use that as your measuring stick. Build in some "pad".

On the dyno monitor your fuel pressure and that will let you know what is going on.

Wes

How about something like this run to aftermarket rails for your feed line:

Summit SUM-PUMPKIT3 - Summit® Fuel Line Combination Kits

A good thing to do is calculate out what you will need and then jump your pump with 12v (use a charger on the battery) and safely run your return line into a graduated container and use a stopwatch to see how long it takes you to flow a gallon. That will give you a good idea of what your system is doing and you can match it against what you calculated your system to require.

Wes

How about something like this run to aftermarket rails for your feed line:

A good thing to do is calculate out what you will need and then jump your pump with 12v (use a charger on the battery) and safely run your return line into a graduated container and use a stopwatch to see how long it takes you to flow a gallon. That will give you a good idea of what your system is doing and you can match it against what you calculated your system to require.

Wes

That works too, so just that, the link w/ the fuel pump and the rails and Id be all set? I just dont like buying stuff I dont need or not getting everything all at once that I do need. Ive never upgraded a fuel system beyond bigger injectors so that's why I have so many ????'s

I was thinking of going w/ Trickflow 55LB Injectors, would that be good for a combo where I was expecting to run at 500 at the wheels and prob 550+ at some point? I know my current #36's wont cut it and Im not sure if #42'2 would support the mid 500's range at the wheels.

Im doing this b/c with the boost I dont want to have any fuel starvation issues at or around the 500 HP mark. Im not doing forged internals at this point so I want a good solid tune and the mods to support the required amount of fuel so that things dont go bad

That pump kit above won't push the amount of fuel you'll want.

Something like a GSS-342 in-tank and GSL-392 inline with the proper lines and rails will get you where you want to be without breaking the bank.

As a further upgrade you can always drop a boost a pump on it for extremely high fuel demand/going to e85 but this won't be necessary for what you want out of the setup but it's a nice option.

I'd go ahead and make the jump to the 55lb or Siemen Deka 60lb injectors. I've been putting 60s on all the forced induction cars I tune. The pencil style injector works great and gives you plenty of room to grow! Get the injector with the EV1 plug, don't use the adapters/EV6... less wiring to worry about.

For an idea of how the inline pump hooks up (or could hook up), look at the Vortech T-Rex setup: Vortech 8F201-265 - Vortech T-Rex Fuel Pump Assemblies

The install guides for the 94/95 S-trims on the Vortech site will document the install procedure on the line pump. You are doing the same type of setup including running a dedicated feed line and relay to power the pumps.

Wes

P.S. A higher flow fuel filter may be in order as well - Summit carries a variety of these.

That pump kit above won't push the amount of fuel you'll want.

Something like a GSS-342 in-tank and GSL-392 inline with the proper lines and rails will get you where you want to be without breaking the bank.

As a further upgrade you can always drop a boost a pump on it for extremely high fuel demand/going to e85 but this won't be necessary for what you want out of the setup but it's a nice option.

I'd go ahead and make the jump to the 55lb or Siemen Deka 60lb injectors. I've been putting 60s on all the forced induction cars I tune. The pencil style injector works great and gives you plenty of room to grow! Get the injector with the EV1 plug, don't use the adapters/EV6... less wiring to worry about.

For an idea of how the inline pump hooks up (or could hook up), look at the Vortech T-Rex setup: Vortech 8F201-265 - Vortech T-Rex Fuel Pump Assemblies

The install guides for the 94/95 S-trims on the Vortech site will document the install procedure on the line pump. You are doing the same type of setup including running a dedicated feed line and relay to power the pumps.

Wes

P.S. A higher flow fuel filter may be in order as well - Summit carries a variety of these.

Sounds good, I'll go w/ the GSS-342 in-tank and GSL-392 inline pumps then. Trickflow makes a nice set of rails too.

Ok so let me run this down so I make sure I have it all straightend out.

1 . Walbro GSS342 in tank pump
Walbro GSS342 - Walbro Electric In-Tank Fuel Pumps

2. Walbro Walbro GSL392 Inline Pump
Walbro GSL392 - Walbro High Pressure Inline Fuel Pumps

3. Summit Fuel Line kit -8 AN

4. Sumit Fuel line kit -6 AN
Summit SUM-TANKKIT2 - Summit® Fuel Line Combination Kits

5. Trickflow Fuel Rails
Trick Flow Specialties TFS-5158000R - Trick Flow® TFX (TM) EFI Fuel Rails

6. Trickflow #55LB Injectors
Trick Flow Specialties TFS-89055 - Trick Flow® TFX (TM) Fuel Injectors

So that is everything I will need to complete the whole fuel system upgrade to support the power levels I'll be at? If Im adding something to much or missing anything let me know. Thanks for your help Wess.

What setup is in your future that will be throwing down 500rwhp?

Many are capable of throwing down those numbers with a single gss340 and stock lines/rails. For those needing a little extra oomph, a KB BAP works quite well past 600rwhp.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with going overboard with a fuel setup....as long as it's not overheating the fuel or causing driveability issues.

On the rail end you can plumb the AN fitting straight into the rail (or for those keeping stock rails see below).

On the tank end you'll want to take the factory hard line and adapt it over to fit on your new high flow filter.

I haven't used these yet, but they look like quite an elegant solution for connecting up to your factory hard lines with the stock filter setup:
Russell Performance 640863 - Russell Aluminum Fuel Line Adapters – SummitRacing.com
Russell Performance 640860 - Russell Fuel Rail Fitting Adapters – SummitRacing.com

Going from the factory lines and bypassing the stock filter for a new one: Aeromotive 15103 - Aeromotive Fuel Rail Fitting Adapters – SummitRacing.com

I'm going to give you a few more options for those keeping the stock SN95 rails:

The same -8 feed and -6 return with these adapters:
Russell Performance 640873 - Russell Fuel Rail Fitting Adapters – SummitRacing.com
Russell Performance 640883 - Russell Fuel Rail Fitting Adapters – SummitRacing.com

As you can see, there are a LOT of ways to do the same thing. For even more improvements you can modify the fuel hat and run a larger line from the hat to the filter and bypass the factory lines alltogether but I have not run into cases where this is necessary with the power you are expecting.

What I would do before you order is draw out on paper the entire system from start to finish and take note of each end and look at where it is going on the car. This will get you an excellent feel for what is going on in this maze of lines and connectors!

Here is a picture of a buddy of mine's setup supporting about 17psi on a 302 with heads/cam on e85. He took the T-rex lines and spliced into them. He's getting close to the limits here as e85 requires about 28% more fuel flow.

View attachment 254855

What setup is in your future that will be throwing down 500rwhp?

B&G Stage 1 Turbo System 76MM Turbo 10 PSI to start out until I get the innards beefed up.

Is the set up that I posted last everything that I will need? I dont mind running aftermarket fuel rails they are not that much. Im getting confused w/ to many links to to much stuff lol

B&G Stage 1 Turbo System 76MM Turbo 10 PSI to start out until I get the innards beefed up.

i hate to burst your bubble, but i think you adding 10psi to your setup, you will be past 500 rwhp :lol:

and i beg you :hail2: to do a write/how to with what has been listed. i've been trying to save up to buy one of those $1000+ fuel systems. and i this would make my pockets not hurt so much.

i hate to burst your bubble, but i think you adding 10psi to your setup, you will be past 500 rwhp :lol:

and i beg you :hail2: to do a write/how to with what has been listed. i've been trying to save up to buy one of those $1000+ fuel systems. and i this would make my pockets not hurt so much.

Prob 10 will take me over that but I dont want to do much more then 500 b/c of the stock internals. If I can do it on 6-8 PSI that's fine too. Once I figure out exactly what I need for all the parts to do this I'll be sure to do a write up on it but this wont be done until next spring. Have to save up for the turbo system and the fuel system upgrade and a few other things. But I just need to know if what I listed for all the parts that I think I will need will be sufficient, am I adding to much of leaving anything out. anyone let me know....

check out Glenn's Performance....they might have something there that you like. I haven't personally used him for fuel systems, but I know several people that run his stuff and have no problems with it.

A lot of people don't like the aeromotive pumps so he gives an option for multiple walbro fuel pumps.

Pretty good quality kits

Thanks, I sent them an E-mail regarding one of their kits. The prices are not to bad when compared to the $1,200 + kits that are usually seen. I was looking to spend $500 for a set up but they are not to far off from that on the kit I was looking at. It was rated at 600 HP but not sure if that was 600 at the flywheel or at the feet.

If you "only" plan on running 500rwhp....why keep the fuel system stock and put the extra towards a new block?

A single gss340 will support well over 500rwhp...and when you throw in a KB boost-a-pump it will suport well over 600rwhp (some say up to the 700rwhp range with new lines & rails).

Walbro 255 inline pump: Interesting info

B/c I want to be sure I have an adequate amount of fuel, Im only running to 500 now b/c I dont want more then that on the stock internals. later on I can get it forged and then Id be at the 550-600+ range.

I have a 255 pump in there now but was told it would not support 500 at the wheels

Its to sxpensive getting a new block I can just put a kit in the one I have

ok this is what I decided to do I think it will be the most easy cost effective way.

Not sure of the age/condition of my current pump even though it is a 255 so just for my own piece of mind Im going to replace it w/ a new Walbro GSL392 Walbro GSL392 - Walbro High Pressure Inline Fuel Pumps – SummitRacing.com

And run a Kenne Bell Boost A pump Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump

and even though I wont really need them I think I'll still run some aftermarket rails just in case of future HP Trick Flow Specialties TFS-5158000R - Trick Flow® TFX (TM) EFI Fuel Rails – SummitRacing.com

and a set of Sieman Deka 60 Lb High Imp. Injectors Sieman Deka 60 Lb High Imp. Injectors (Set of 8) [11-060-8] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

I think that should do it.