what is louder, h pipe or an x pipe

green

Apr 26, 2003
hey, hows it going. just wondering what sounds better and louder, a off road h pipe or a x pipe. thanks. this is for a mostly stock 1985 mustang gt.

• Sponsors (?)

The x pipe is louder, and it sounds better. I have a x pipe with magnaflow and my neighbor has a h pipe with magnaflow and mine sounds better and is louder. I'm not lieing when i say i have had so many people tell me i have the best sounding car they have ever heard. Wait till i figure out of to video tape it haha.

I think an H is deep and an X is raspy

I'll add that IMO, shorties and equal length shorties are louder than full length. Most people think the opposite, but me and a buddy were running the exact same setup from the headers back except he was running equal lengths, and his car was much louder than mine with full lengths. Probably due to the fact that the exhaust pulses equalize smoother with full lengths (which is why they make a tad more power also) than the shorties. It makes sense if you think about it.

With that in mind, and since my car isn't exactly hardcore enough to need full lengths, also because of ground clearance issues, i just might be switching back to shorties the next time i buy headers.

The X has a raspier, higher pitched sound, which might make it seem louder, but I don't think one is actually much louder than the other. I prefer the sound of an X over an H, and like stated, an X will have a small power advantage over an H.

Have off road H pipe and 40 series Flowmasters on my LX, sets car alarms off when I start it, resonance at the wrong rpm is so loud you can't talk to the person next to you- in short, its awesome! Friend has a 93 Cobra, Magnaflow X with converters and Magnaflow mufflers, more defined than mine, only a little quieter, but outstanding quality, makes emission testing easier. All depends on what you want it to do. Couple years ago Elliot Sadler went on his roof at Talladega, under the car was an X pipe- if it works for Robert Yates, I'm putting one on mine!

Have off road H pipe and 40 series Flowmasters on my LX, sets car alarms off when I start it, resonance at the wrong rpm is so loud you can't talk to the person next to you- in short, its awesome! Friend has a 93 Cobra, Magnaflow X with converters and Magnaflow mufflers, more defined than mine, only a little quieter, but outstanding quality, makes emission testing easier. All depends on what you want it to do. Couple years ago Elliot Sadler went on his roof at Talladega, under the car was an X pipe- if it works for Robert Yates, I'm putting one on mine!

Your buddy's car is quieter because of the cats....if he ran an offroad pipe there wouldn't be much if any difference in the loudness of the two cars.

Exactly. Green's wondering which one is "louder and better", but the different systems dictate all that, you can make it do pretty much whatever you want. A great sound was my first one, back in 88, off road with stock mufflers. At the time, comparisons were easy, not that many parts were out, but early MM&FF did one on mufflers, Ford pieces flowed just as well as all the aftermarket jobbies, so I left them. Thing was loud, clear, resonated nice, and everyone asked what I did, and I could tell them "nothing!"

3 years ago I would have said different. But I wouldnt waste my money on anything but an "X".

Yep...i said the same thing when i ran an H...then i said screw the X, i'm going with the Prochamber....nobody runs those! Then i installed it....wasn't happy....then borrowed my buddy's X...i haven't given it back yet :D

i have had both on the my car, and i currently have a x and wouldnt go back to a H.. to me with my car mostly stock there wasnt much of a change in how LOUD it was... but the X does have a better tone...

O/R X FTW.... But if you want the Loudest IMO Its Streight Pipe.. But i dont swing that way... "X" is how i Gets Down~!

HELLLL YEA

Many have seen these vids before. But IMO MAC cat back with x pipe and equal lengths is the way to go. X pipe = loud as hell
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i194/MACn89blckstng/?action=view&current=DSCN0356.flv
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i194/MACn89blckstng/?action=view&current=DSCN0357.flv
http://videos.streetfire.net/search/smoke+show/0/f4af5927-cc0c-47fd-b0ed-988b01213fc7.htm

cool. thanks guys, i do like the deep sound, and the drone, but i never really heard a x pipe before so i dont have any idea how it would sound, im planning on buying headers and h pipe or x pipe (not sure which one yet) probally sometime this week. also you were saying about shorties and shorties equal lenth, which one would be best to get from those 2. anything would be an upgrade from my stockers but i would like to get somewhat the best headers for the money. i more thing does all headers 1/58inch bolt right up to a 2.5inch h pipe or x pipe? i know my stockers wont bolt up to a 2.5 h pipe right? thanks alot.

cool. thanks guys, i do like the deep sound, and the drone, but i never really heard a x pipe before so i dont have any idea how it would sound, im planning on buying headers and h pipe or x pipe (not sure which one yet) probally sometime this week. also you were saying about shorties and shorties equal lenth, which one would be best to get from those 2. anything would be an upgrade from my stockers but i would like to get somewhat the best headers for the money. i more thing does all headers 1/58inch bolt right up to a 2.5inch h pipe or x pipe? i know my stockers wont bolt up to a 2.5 h pipe right? thanks alot.

My Mac offroad H pipe bolted right up to the stock headers, I love the way my car sounds with the H pipe.