what is the best gears for rear w/t-5 trans

91 HATCH

Banned
May 17, 2007
illinois
im looking to replace my 3.08 rear gears and i have a t-5 trans.i was wondering what everyone runs and how they like them.also need to know what rpms they run at about 70 mph.if 3.73 is good for street and 4.10 is good for strip 3.90 should be the best of both right

• Sponsors (?)

Don't put the 3.90 in it they suck. That is the samething i was thinking and i hate them, the car ran better times with the 3.08.

this makes no sense. a gear wont slow you down. might make you spin the tires and result in a lower e/t but a lower gear will always make the car get up to speed faster and DROP e/ts

and to put down one ratio makes no sense. 3.90s cant suck and then say have a 3.73 be good. when the 3.73 actually does less than what a 3.90 does.

3.73s will give you a good pick up in acceleration, and some more streetability, without too much rpm on the highway.

4.10s will give you even more of a acceleration boost, but you give up some, and the car will turn a little more rpm on the highway.

and a 3.90, gives you more of a boost than 3.73s but not as much as 4.10s would give you, and in trade off, you get a little more highway rpm but once again not as much as 4.10s

its right in the middle and would give you the best of both ratios but imo the difference b/w each ISNT MUCH AT ALL. so it doesnt really make a difference.

so to call 3.90s bad and make you car slower and makes no sense. unless one was the tires more and get the slower e/t. and something had to make the tires spin, which was more torque, and when you have more torque to the wheels, you can get off the line faster assuming you have a sticky tire and then you get LOWER e/ts.

i run a 3.90 gear in mine and it helped out alot, was put on a stock AOD mustang gt and it could hardly spin the wheels good. with the gears it lit em up much easier and the car pulled harder and was all around better feeling car.

while the gear helped my car out alot. its not all cracked up like it is on the internet. people will tell you all day that gears will make a car SUPER FAST. when it reality it only makes it a little bit faster. and to me, it pulled harder but they way it felt. felt like riding a bicycle in low gear, it helped out alot, but the car ran out of steam and ran out of rpm alot faster than it would before.

and IMO telling a difference b/w different ratios, you should be able to tell the rpm difference on the highway, but as far as SOTP difference i doubt it, some cars run faster than others.

you could probably tell a difference b/w 2 BONE STOCK mustangs, one running a 3.73, and one running a 4.10 you could most likely feel the 4.10 car has a little more pull to it, but how many foxes do you see that are BONE STOCK nowadays.

one people start modding their cars, and when start upgrading the heads, cam, intake and exhaust etc. its going to be impossible to distinguish how much of the SOTP feel the gears are contributing.

and almost all mustangs i ride in have been upgraded with different gears. and all feel about the same, and if you ride in a stock geared mustang you can tell its still running a stock gear, due the car revving up slow. but in reality its not super different from a geared car IMO

back on topic. just get a nice gear over stock. 3.55 or lower is good you willl feel a nice pickup in power.

with my t-5 and 3.55s, at 70mph im at about 2200-2300 rpm with 225-50-16 tires.
pulls hard, and first gear is actually usable, sometimes i dont get traction in second gear at the track. perfect for me, since its my daily commuter.

i got a T5 and 4.10's. i LOVE them. just make sure you have a good tire. the only way i'd go with a higher gear (numerically lower) is if i had enough stuff done to my car to make 4.10's too steep. if you're car is stock to mildly modded i'd definitely go with 3.73's, 3.90's or 4.10's. if your car has a decent amount done to it, i'd go 3.73's or 3.55's.

*edit* i just looked at what you have done to your car plus i see it's your daily driver. i'd recommend 3.73's, especially since it's your dd. my car's my daily driver and i have 4.10's but i don't like how high it revs on the highway. then again i almost never drive on the highway...

the only concievable negative to a 4.10 would be the lack of a top end on our cars. Everyone knows unless you at least have an upper/lower theres nothing to offer past 5000. 4.10s will take out of your powerband quicker than a longer gear, and if your stock, id say meh. However if you have an HCI car that pulls strong past 6k then hell yea get some gear into it. Also, with my 3.73s i have traction issues until mid 2nd on the street, and i really wouldnt even wanna know how bad it would be w/ 4.10s,4.30s,4.56s... etc.

I wouldn't trade my 3:55's for 3:73's if you did all the work I love em. I can use 1st and 2nd pulls like a mofo and 3rd is awsome for getting out and passing while hitting 4th as you are beside the car your passing. and 5th comes down a fair amount for cruzing. I think at 100 KMPH I rev at 2000-2100 Rpm maby 2200

this makes no sense. a gear wont slow you down. might make you spin the tires and result in a lower e/t but a lower gear will always make the car get up to speed faster and DROP e/ts

and to put down one ratio makes no sense. 3.90s cant suck and then say have a 3.73 be good. when the 3.73 actually does less than what a 3.90 does.

3.73s will give you a good pick up in acceleration, and some more streetability, without too much rpm on the highway.

4.10s will give you even more of a acceleration boost, but you give up some, and the car will turn a little more rpm on the highway.

and a 3.90, gives you more of a boost than 3.73s but not as much as 4.10s would give you, and in trade off, you get a little more highway rpm but once again not as much as 4.10s

its right in the middle and would give you the best of both ratios but imo the difference b/w each ISNT MUCH AT ALL. so it doesnt really make a difference.

so to call 3.90s bad and make you car slower and makes no sense. unless one was the tires more and get the slower e/t. and something had to make the tires spin, which was more torque, and when you have more torque to the wheels, you can get off the line faster assuming you have a sticky tire and then you get LOWER e/ts.

i run a 3.90 gear in mine and it helped out alot, was put on a stock AOD mustang gt and it could hardly spin the wheels good. with the gears it lit em up much easier and the car pulled harder and was all around better feeling car.

while the gear helped my car out alot. its not all cracked up like it is on the internet. people will tell you all day that gears will make a car SUPER FAST. when it reality it only makes it a little bit faster. and to me, it pulled harder but they way it felt. felt like riding a bicycle in low gear, it helped out alot, but the car ran out of steam and ran out of rpm alot faster than it would before.

and IMO telling a difference b/w different ratios, you should be able to tell the rpm difference on the highway, but as far as SOTP difference i doubt it, some cars run faster than others.

you could probably tell a difference b/w 2 BONE STOCK mustangs, one running a 3.73, and one running a 4.10 you could most likely feel the 4.10 car has a little more pull to it, but how many foxes do you see that are BONE STOCK nowadays.

one people start modding their cars, and when start upgrading the heads, cam, intake and exhaust etc. its going to be impossible to distinguish how much of the SOTP feel the gears are contributing.

and almost all mustangs i ride in have been upgraded with different gears. and all feel about the same, and if you ride in a stock geared mustang you can tell its still running a stock gear, due the car revving up slow. but in reality its not super different from a geared car IMO

back on topic. just get a nice gear over stock. 3.55 or lower is good you willl feel a nice pickup in power.

the only thing i gain by puting the 3.90 in my car was it traped 1 mph more. I should have just went with the 4.10 like i was going to.:bang: I run 4 cyl trannys in my car so i have a little longer first gear. But seems that you like the 3.90 so if you would like a set send me some 3.73 or 4.10 and i will send you my 3.90 because IMO they suck.