What kind of MPG on your Fox?

• Sponsors (?)

My bone stock LX with a 5 speed an 2.73's gets around 15-16 only driving around town and saw a best of 21 mpg riding at 75 in fifth. I would love to throw a set of 3.27's in her because I feel that would actually help my mileage around town.

Wait wait wait. Did you buy a Mustang? A FOX Mustang?
Yesssss....why? Is that unbelievable? My last one averaged 25mpg.

I doubt he will like driving it... the reliability :mad:

:rlaugh:

Truth hurt? I'm not downing it because it's a Fox, I'm downing it because it's a 22-year-old car. A car, that like 99% of the Fox Mustangs out there, hasn't seen an "easy" life. People beat the hell out of these cars over their years. Who cares if I don’t plan to? The last half a dozen owners before me probably did.

It made the 5-hour trip home after I bought it ok, but this is going to be a weekend toy at best. If I've got somewhere long distance that I need to be and know I'm going to get there, I'm gonna take my low mileage F150....gas mileage be damned. Not to mention it's a helllll of a lot more comfortable to drive over long distances than my Fox.

Truth hurt? I'm not downing it because it's a Fox, I'm downing it because it's a 22-year-old car. A car, that like 99% of the Fox Mustangs out there, hasn't seen an "easy" life. People beat the hell out of these cars over their years. Who cares if I don’t plan to? The last half a dozen owners before me probably did.

It made the 5-hour trip home after I bought it ok, but this is going to be a weekend toy at best. If I've got somewhere long distance that I need to be and know I'm going to get there, I'm gonna take my low mileage F150....gas mileage be damned. Not to mention it's a helllll of a lot more comfortable to drive over long distances than my Fox.

You crack me up dude. You just bought yourself a sweet car, but it's like you're still unable to admit that it's cool and you're actually going to enjoy it. :D

on the street I don't see good mileage at all, but I don't warm up half the time, and I just drive it a short distance roundtrip anyway. On the highway though, I took a 800mile trip to Idaho, fully loaded (well beyond the 500lb capacity) and went through only 40gallons of gas. That equates to an average of 20mpg. I know my speedo is broken, since I got a ticket saying I was going 86 in a 75 (I was going with the flow of course) I changed the gear when I got to Idaho :)~! Whether my speedo is working or not, I got 20mpg, but I remember back when the car was Speed Density, and the A/C still worked, that it used to get well beyond 300miles to a tank. It depends on how you drive, the level of the surface your driving on, and how stead you can maintain that speed.

I've only had a working odometer for 3 fillups now. It's been about 17mpg, 17mpg, and then 22mpg. I'm guessing my mixed driving is going to be around 18mpg and highway about 22-25mpg.

Not too bad, my Dakota 4.7 5spd does much worse.

No offense to anyone, but i just don't believe that anyone averages anything over 20mpg.
Norm i'd say is 15-18.
We've had many a 5.0 in our family, that goes for sn95's, auto's, manuals, convertibles.
All started out as cars that were stock, none ever went near 25 mpg.

I think miscalibrated speedometers, speedo gears and tires are to blame for the high numbers.

I was considering changing out my 02 sensors in an effort to possibly squeak some more milage out. As far as I know my car was driven very little in the last 10 years prior to me buying it. I'm thinking tune up and 02's might help it run a little better. Did 96mph in the quarter as it sits though... so it cant be too down on power.

You crack me up dude. You just bought yourself a sweet car, but it's like you're still unable to admit that it's cool and you're actually going to enjoy it. :D

It is a sweet car...it is cool...and I'm certain I will enjoy it.

But it's also the same, unrefined, noisy, squeaky POS I remember them being, will likely nickel and dime me to death and I will probably curse its existence every day I own it.

What they matter....a guy isn't allowed to have mixed emotions about his ride? I don’t have to love everything about the car, to enjoy it.

I hated the fact that my Cougar was a tub, that it cost me twice as much to fix or modify than a Fox and that it had “love them, or hate them” looks. But it was still a light years better car than any ’79-’93 Mustang ever produced?

It's got nothing to do with being able to admit anything.....I’m just a realist. :shrug:

No offense to anyone, but i just don't believe that anyone averages anything over 20mpg.
Norm i'd say is 15-18.
We've had many a 5.0 in our family, that goes for sn95's, auto's, manuals, convertibles.
All started out as cars that were stock, none ever went near 25 mpg.

I think miscalibrated speedometers, speedo gears and tires are to blame for the high numbers.

The speedometer/odometer may lie, but the GPS doesn't.

I drive one of the lighter Mustangs produced, I normally shift at or below 2,000 RPM, often skip shift from 2nd to 4th, or 3rd to 5th, averaged about 60mph on the highway when I recorded my figures and the few mods that I do have are designed to improve fuel economy.

I'm sure they would have dropped off some if it were mostly in town driving, but on the highway, it was what it was.

Maybe you need a tune up and to keep your foot out of it more often. :D

:rlaugh:hahahahahahahah!!!! :lol: Bwahahahahah!!! :D OMG! You kill me, Brian! :nice: to the new car :nice::nice::nice:.... I'm blown away, man! You got another fox! Congratulations. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Is it going to be a lemon and you an even more bitter guy about foxes, or did you get a good one that will satisfy you and make you less pessimistic about them. Where's the purchase thread? I wanna see pics!

I usually see between 29-33 MPG. My last tank was 31.7. Oh yeah thats with a t-5 with 3.55's and my speedo is 2 MPH off. peace

John:p

I know what it is, you guys have that active engine management system where it cuts off half the engine at highway speeds?

If I could get mileage like that I wouldnt be getting a daily driver! I was thinking all my driving would have to be considered city because its constantly stop and go..... I dont know why they have to have 50,000 stop signs on base...

Actually, I was kinda wondering what guys that can tune their own stuff are getting. I know I pulled an honest 22mpg out of mine when I drove from Alabama to FL and didn't drive special or anything. It has 3.73 gears, 8.5:1 compression, and I believe that I kept the AFR in the mid-high 14s, IIRC. For those that can tune, what AFR do you cruise at?

I've pulled out all the tricks to get 38.8 mpg out of my C5 Corvette, which is bone stock. That's as measured at the pump and dividing that into the mileage, not taking the mpg meter's reading as fact.