What kind of MPG on your Fox?

Well, 90% of the cars here have aftermarket gears, and most do not have properly calibrated speedos. By that, I mean that even with speedo recal gears, there is still error woth the shorter gears. Plus, you have non stock tires of sometimes non-oem diameter. Anything more than 3.55s on a 1990+ only has a gear that gets you "in the ballpark" on the 87-89, it's anything about 3.73. Those damn 23-tooth gears are not very accurate and off by a few MPH.

So take that into account, plus the fact that MPG is sometimes exaggerated and you get numbers all over the place.

I've seen numbers quoted in the low 30's before.....woth 4.10 gears and a supercharger. I find it funny that with such a emphasis on fuel economy these days, that 20 year old modified 5.0s get better fuel economy than a brand new technology 5.0....especially considering Fprd has a Huge CAFE goal looming ahead in the years to come. Honestly, I just don't think its possibly to accurate calculate the MPG. Hell, half the time I ride in someone elses 5.0, the speedo doesn't even work...the other times, it's pointed to 110mph at 55mph because the speedo gear was never even changed out.

I don't even trust my own mileage calculations done on my daily driver which even has a MPG computer. Never once have the numbers agreed. I usually take most claims with a grain of salt.

Just saying. :shrug:

Fwiw: The mileage I quoted was from a speedo 10% fast.
It consistently shows 21 mpg in town, but we take 10% off, making it 19.
The speedo has been checked with radar and GPS... 10% off.

• Sponsors (?)

I sit at like 16.5 mpgs..... I've been watching it and been putting 91 octane.... But thats with an AOD and 2.73's with me flooring it all the time.

Have you raised compression any that you need higher octane?

I know the gas companies push high octane to make people think it is better and worth the extra money, but it is not. If your engine does not NEED the extra octane, it is bad for economy and performance.

The higher the octane, the less volatile the gas is. That is the only difference.
So if you put it in an engine that does not have higher compression, it will be less efficient and create less power.

Just a thought. Higher octane, if you don't have the compression to ignite it thoroughly, could give you lower MPGs.

Edit:
2.73s are the worst gear for mileage unless you only drive highway.
Around town, your engine has less leverage, and works harder to get moving.

Edit2:
We had AOD and 2.73s as I posted, and were getting 17 in town, so you're right in the ballpark.

I've always just thought higher octane meant better performance...... When you have your timing at 14* btdc do you need to go up in octance?

I'm going to do a gear swap and go with a 5-speed later this year so hopefully that will help.

Yesssss....why? Is that unbelievable? My last one averaged 25mpg.

Truth hurt? I'm not downing it because it's a Fox, I'm downing it because it's a 22-year-old car. A car, that like 99% of the Fox Mustangs out there, hasn't seen an "easy" life. People beat the hell out of these cars over their years. Who cares if I don’t plan to? The last half a dozen owners before me probably did.

It made the 5-hour trip home after I bought it ok, but this is going to be a weekend toy at best. If I've got somewhere long distance that I need to be and know I'm going to get there, I'm gonna take my low mileage F150....gas mileage be damned. Not to mention it's a helllll of a lot more comfortable to drive over long distances than my Fox.

You crack me up dude. You just bought yourself a sweet car, but it's like you're still unable to admit that it's cool and you're actually going to enjoy it. :D

You wanna hear something funny? I just bought a 19 year old fox, drove it home 1200 miles without a hitch, got better milage than my 2008 f150 and it was a HELLUVA lot more comfortable. :shrug:

My buddy riding with me agreed it was more comfortable, and my wife does too. My truck's got the FX4 leather seats....Maybe it's the ride. the truck is 4X4.:shrug:

I've always just thought higher octane meant better performance...... When you have your timing at 14* btdc do you need to go up in octance?

I'm going to do a gear swap and go with a 5-speed later this year so hopefully that will help.

The ONLY thing octane rating is, contrary to the oil company sales pitch, is a rating of how easy the fuel burns. (volatility)

Higher octane fuel prevents detonation because it doesn't ignite as easily as lower octane fuel. If your engine doesn't have higher compression, it can have trouble igniting higher octane fuel completely.

Adding timing can cause detonation, but seems unlikely at our low stock compression ratio. We run 12-15 of timing on our 5.0s, and do it in Florida heat without issue. Not saying it's impossible, especially if your engine is carboned up in the chambers, creating artificial hot spots.

Fact is though, if you know for sure you need it, use it, but if you don't need it, don't use it.

You wanna hear something funny? I just bought a 19 year old fox, drove it home 1200 miles without a hitch, got better milage than my 2008 f150 and it was a HELLUVA lot more comfortable. :shrug:

My buddy riding with me agreed it was more comfortable, and my wife does too. My truck's got the FX4 leather seats....Maybe it's the ride. the truck is 4X4.:shrug:

Brian is a bit, shall we say, anti-fox body. He's always been in here arguing what a peice of junk they are, and like to compare them unfavorably to every other car built, which is why it blows me away that he actually purchased one.

Brian is a bit, shall we say, anti-fox body. He's always been in here arguing what a peice of junk they are, and like to compare them unfavorably to every other car built, which is why it blows me away that he actually purchased one.

I've owned them on and off since about 1988. Most were drag cars or beater hotrods, I've never actually spent the money for one in really good shape until now... and I love it. I'm kicking myself for not doing it sooner, it's a great car. Always loved the fox!:nice:

I owned a 94 F car in 96 and it was a squeakin creakin hunk-o-junk.:shrug:

BTW: teh fox did 20-22 mpg's coming home from North Carolina depending on driving 70mph or 90 mph.:D

Awwww c'mon Allen, who are you trying to kid? Unless your truck is completely baffed, I don't believe that for a millisecond. I've got the same truck as you do and it's 10-times the driver as the Fox body. For starters, there are no jarring bangs on every crack in the road, no vibration at speed, no dipping or wandering on low spots. Just strait line tracking!

Now, if you want to compare seat comfort…then that’s definitely subjective. F150 seats are certainly a love them or hate them design. I like the room and sturdiness they provide, but they’re not what I would consider supportive, nor would I consider the power seat position settings optimum for comfort. I would regard even the most basic LX seats “plush” by comparison. But you can’t judge the entire spectrum of the vehicle base on one downfall.

Don’t confuse the excitement of buying a new (to you) car, and the different driving characteristics it boasts over reality. A different, or more fun driving experience I would buy, but a better driver overall? Your F150 is of course no performer by comparison and isn’t nearly as nimble, but from a sheer comfort perspective, the F150 has the weight, the width, the wheel base, the full framed chassis strength and the suspension travel to ride and drive far superior to any Fox….or any other little car for that matter. I think you’re telling yourself the car is better because that’s what you want to believe more than anything.

The gas mileage though I agree completely on. I got 6-7mpg better mileage with my Mustang on the way home over my truck. But to be fair, the truck literally weighs twice what the car does and is rolling on 32” tall wheels and tires, through a much heavier and heavier built drivetrain.

I’ll go as far to say, My F150 FX4 is the best vehicle I’ve ever owned…and I’ve owned a lot of them. Coincidentally, before this truck, the ’83 Mustang L I had as a teenager was probably the best vehicle I’d ever owned. But thinking back on it now, was probably more because of the fond memories associated with it, then the mechanics or the quality of the car itself. :shrug:

There you go, putting words in my mouth again. :nonono:

Not anti Fox body at all. Although at times, I do seem to be the only one here not looking at the car through rose coloured glasses by the looks of it?. I'll be honest...you're starting to sound a little like those 4th Gen F-Body guys in the way they talk about the LS1 being touched by the hand of god. Realistically speaking, the Fox cars were thrown together with spit and bubble gum. They were built and designed at one of the worst points in automotive history. And they all seem like they were built on a Friday afternoon.

There's almost nothing than any more modern car doesn't do better. I find it laughable how some guys consider these the best cars ever built, yet replace that 5.0L power plant with the 2.3L I4 these cars were optioned with and they won't give it a second glance.

Fox's are cool looking...even by today’s standards. They've got nice lines…especially the Coupe’s IMO. They’ve got a great exhaust tone and because of their favorable power to weight ratio, haul the mail for a little car. But, a marvel of the automotive industry, they are not.

First thing I notice when going from my MN12 to my fox was wow....this thing rides like a tank. Second thing I notice when I put the pedal down was wow...this things slllllooooowwww. Then I tried to take a corner and knew immediately I was in for all kinds of disappointment if I though this thing was going to perform like my last car. Compared the interior quality, chassis refinement, etc, etc....I'll tell you, it didn't look good for the Mustang.

But then you know what....I got 3-complements on the car, just on the way home. I liked the way it looked from anywhere I stood, unlike my Cougar that needed the right light and the right angle to get even 2nd place in a beauty contest consisting of of 2 competitors. It felt good to row through the gears again, which wasn't an option (or at least, not a cost effective one) with my XR7. It's nice to see whole companies dedicated to an aftermarket for these cars, when I had to scrounge and scrape to find anyone who supported the MN12 market....and then pay 3-times as much for the parts when I did find them.

Yes. There are certainly high and low points to every car.

I LIKE MY FOX for the reasons stated above, but am not so blinded by loyalty to the model that I don't recognized it's short comings as well and can dislike it for those same reasons.

It doesn't make me a hater, it makes me a realist.

Awwww c'mon Allen, who are you trying to kid? Unless your truck is completely baffed, I don't believe that for a millisecond. I've got the same truck as you do and it's 10-times the driver as the Fox body. For starters, there are no jarring bangs on every crack in the road, no vibration at speed, no dipping or wandering on low spots. Just strait line tracking!

Now, if you want to compare seat comfort…then that’s definitely subjective. F150 seats are certainly a love them or hate them design. I like the room and sturdiness they provide, but they’re not what I would consider supportive, nor would I consider the power seat position settings optimum for comfort. I would regard even the most basic LX seats “plush” by comparison. But you can’t judge the entire spectrum of the vehicle base on one downfall.

Don’t confuse the excitement of buying a new (to you) car, and the different driving characteristics it boasts over reality. A different, or more fun driving experience I would buy, but a better driver overall? Your F150 is of course no performer by comparison and isn’t nearly as nimble, but from a sheer comfort perspective, the F150 has the weight, the width, the wheel base, the full framed chassis strength and the suspension travel to ride and drive far superior to any Fox….or any other little car for that matter. I think you’re telling yourself the car is better because that’s what you want to believe more than anything.

The gas mileage though I agree completely on. I got 6-7mpg better mileage with my Mustang on the way home over my truck. But to be fair, the truck literally weighs twice what the car does and is rolling on 32” tall wheels and tires, through a much heavier and heavier built drivetrain.

I’ll go as far to say, My F150 FX4 is the best vehicle I’ve ever owned…and I’ve owned a lot of them. Coincidentally, before this truck, the ’83 Mustang L I had as a teenager was probably the best vehicle I’d ever owned. But thinking back on it now, was probably more because of the fond memories associated with it, then the mechanics or the quality of the car itself. :shrug:

Oh, by no means am I saying the F150 is a bad machine, I love it! I am a big fella though, and i don't know if it's beacuse of the seat design, angle of recline when I get comfy to drive, or what it is, but when I drive that truck for an hour or two and get out, It takes two minutes for me to straighten my back out. The fox I can drive for hours and it doesn't hurt when I get out. Maybe it's sitting up more straight in the truck vs. more recline angle in the fox?

Oh, by no means am I saying the F150 is a bad machine, I love it! I am a big fella though, and i don't know if it's beacuse of the seat design, angle of recline when I get comfy to drive, or what it is, but when I drive that truck for an hour or two and get out, It takes two minutes for me to straighten my back out. The fox I can drive for hours and it doesn't hurt when I get out. Maybe it's sitting up more straight in the truck vs. more recline angle in the fox?

It's the seated part of the seat. the rear doesn't seem to drop down far enough to let you really get your butt down and into it. You can bring the front half under your knee's up fine, but just can't get the back half to lower. :nonono:

It could use a little more bolstering in the lumbar suport too. Might as well be none at all.

I too am a fair sized guy at 6'3" 260.

For starters, there are no jarring bangs on every crack in the road, no vibration at speed, no dipping or wandering on low spots. Just strait line tracking!

If you put some maintenance into the fox, it will not have these problems, either. My current stang still needs a little work, but my '92 had a completely stock suspension, and it tracked straight, and was a comfortable daily driver. I've owned a Suburban, '95 BMW 318, C5 Corvette, and 3 fox-body mustangs. I think that the first two foxes were the most comfortable of all of them. I have never owned a fox that didn't track straight. If yours is lowered, then I recommend getting the bump-steer kit to correct the suspension geometry up front.

There you go, putting words in my mouth again. :nonono:

In that post I didn't put words in your mouth. It's not as if I implied that you actually said that. However, from my perspective you are anti-fox. This might be putting words in your mouth, though: To sum the rest of your post up, you hate everything about the cars, except that you got some compliments. And, you like the way they look and sound.

To be honest, I don't think they're the best looking cars, but damned if they aren't easy to work on, and have an impossibly large aftermarket so you can fix any defect or issue that you have with the car, especially when it comes to performance, and can even get them to handle like a porsche, despite their wet-noodle body. There still isn't an aftermarket for any other particular body-style of car like there is for the fox-mustang. Plus, they're a dime a dozen. So, I am not in the least bit afraid of flogging the hell out of the car, or of the chances of putting it into a wall. If that happens, it'll suck, but then, so long as I'm ok, I'll buy another roller for $1,500 or so and swap my stuff over.

I love the fact that I can absolutely do anything there is to do on a fox. I can take a look at a fox and know exactly what what kind of performance should be expected of it. I can diagnose just about any mechanical or electrical issue on a fox without looking it up, and every single part on the car is cheap and available - except the damned center console...lol

I love the reputation that foxes have. You can roll into a parking lot and if you don't pop the hood, no one has any idea if it's slower than the guy on his bicycle or the fastest thing on the lot. So many people give them undue, in this day and age, credit, and some people still don't give them enough.

Chris