What manual transmission? +600 ft.lb.

DK832

Apr 11, 2006
Copenhagen, DK
I've been searching the net for comparisons and associated pricing but am not really close to a decision. We're building a motor that will be capable of over 600 ft.lb. torque and I prefer a 5 or 6 speed manual trans. It's for a 69 and tunnel modification is OK. We have a fresh Toploader that we could use but I'm not sure about safe torque levels for those?
Anyone know of webpages with comparison info on manual gearboxes?
Anyway, input on:

- What will a Toploader hold? What revs will it shift comfortably at?
- TKO600 is reasonably priced, but will it hold more than the advertised 600ft.lb.? It doesn't seem to shift well above 6,200 rpm?

Once we move over the $2.5k mark more options come up but what would be drivable on the street as well as on the track?

- G-Force T56 and the likes will hold 800 ft.lb. but is close to $5k and doesn't shift well above 6,2-6,500 rpm.
- Richmond Super Street? I have no knowledge about it except what's on the website.
- ??? other options?

BTW this car won't be running drag slicks, but mostly DOT track tires (Toyo R888, R1R, Yokohama A048 and the like).

• Sponsors (?)

My brother in law is running a top loader in his Bonneville car that has a 560+ cu BB Ford. He shifts at 7,000rpm and says he has to yank down on the lever to get it to shift. My sister drives the same car and says it's not that difficult, it just takes a little finese.
Either way they are getting a Richmond 5speed mainly for the better gear spacing and also because Richmond said he won't have any problems shifting at that RPM either.

I think a Viper Spec t56 or a TKO 600 might do you well. You can also get ones that are reworked from places like mmr.com that improve the strength and shifting capabilities. I have a punny 302 behind my tko600 and I havn't had any issues yet... Bellhousing alignment and proper breakin is a must on these things and a lot of people just slap them in and abuse the hell out of them out of the box then wonder why it doesn't shift right or it vibrates going down the road... then they break.
Kevin