What Oil Is Everyone Using?

40th GT said:
I'm a user of Mobil1 5w-20 and whenever I come across oil threads like these, it's full of speculation. People hear things that may not be legitamate and pass the info to others. I seriously don't think synthetics have much of an advantage over dino, engines wear out and it's a fact of life. Unless of course, you're comparing flash points and cold pour points, that's where you see an advantage in synthetics. But that's about it.

Me, I use Mobil1 because it gives me that extra peace of mind whenever I floor it. Something about man-made oil makes me feel better. I'm going to stick with it since it's what I've been using ever since the break-in oil came out and I'm not about to switch oil types.

2 points about your post I wanted to address.

Number one, is that neither my post, nor the other educated people here have posted out of spectulation as you stated. There are hundreds if not thousands of oil studies, surveys, tests, that we've read through, experienced, etc. If you really need something to read to prove to yourself that synthetic oil has advantages other than the flashpoints, check out http://bobistheoilguy.com and spend some time reading.

We make our decisions and statements based on this. Synthetics are not only proven to have a larger percentage of detergents compared to dino oils, but they also (which brings me to your second statement,) provide better protection against cold startup wear, which is where the majority of your engine wear comes from.

If you're really concerned about being protected.. be concerned about your oil protecting whenever you're STARTING it, not whenever you're FLOORING it.

• Sponsors (?)

40th GT said:
I'm a user of Mobil1 5w-20 and whenever I come across oil threads like these, it's full of speculation. People hear things that may not be legitamate and pass the info to others. I seriously don't think synthetics have much of an advantage over dino, engines wear out and it's a fact of life. Unless of course, you're comparing flash points and cold pour points, that's where you see an advantage in synthetics. But that's about it.

Me, I use Mobil1 because it gives me that extra peace of mind whenever I floor it. Something about man-made oil makes me feel better. I'm going to stick with it since it's what I've been using ever since the break-in oil came out and I'm not about to switch oil types.
In no way am I implying that if you use Synthetics, you're motor will become "immune" to wear and tear, cause this just isn't so. As you said, motors wear out and fail, and that is just a fact of life. What I'm trying to say is synthetics reduce wear and tear on a motor some what better than regular dino oils. If you don't believe that, then take a look at two motors after 150k miles of wear, where the one uses full synthetic, and the other regular petroleum stock oil. You will see that in terms of wear scars, the one using synthetic clearly is in better condition. This of course is assuming the person(s) taking care of each motor takes care of them with equal care, and doesn't misuse or abuse one more so or less than the other.

I have a 98 gt 5spd with 103k miles (bought with 78k). What should I use? I have been using 10w30 (using 10w40 right now because it was free.). Should I use 10w40, 5w30, 5w20, or 0w20? Thanks.

Here is an Important Note: You should use a thicker viscosity oil if you live in a Warmer climate such as florida or texas where it gets over 100 in the summer so use like 10-30 and you could even switch in the winter to 5-30 but I doubt it gets that cold! but like me I live in delaware where in the summer it might get in the upper 90's a few times! So I just use 5-30 all year round. Some people may switch to 10-30 in the summer but it really isn't necessary! The Difference between 5-30 and 10-30 isn't Much at all so you make the call!

Uhm.....people. May I have your attention please. Yes, Hi, me over here. Yes, you too sir. Please put the mirror down, before you scare yourself. Hi, yeah, you too sir, and might I request you please stop laughing. What was that ? You can't stop laughing you say ? Perhaps if you stopped looking down your pants, you wouldn't find things so funny, so please, do that for now while I explain something I, and various others have explained many times before concerning oil.

THE FIRST NUMBER IS THE WEIGHT OF THE OIL AT POURING POINT/ STARTING TEMPERATURE. THE SECOND NUMBER IS THE WEIGHT OF THE OIL AT NORMAL ENGINE OPERATING TEMPERATURE. THUS, WHEN LOOKING FOR AN OIL, THE FIRST NUMBER SHOULD ONLY BE CONSIDERED A FACTOR IF YOU'RE CONCERNED ABOUT OIL FLOW AT START UP. IF YOU THINK 0 IS TOO THIN, AND 10 IS TOO THICK, THEN TAKE THAT NICE MIDDLE NUMBER OF 5. THANKS!