what rack&pinion do i have?

• Sponsors (?)

when i did this for my 88gt, there were 4 choices. ford performance (quick ratio) and regular, and TRW reg and performance. for the performance, i bet the gt's all had performance. for me, if it had the bigger wheels and tires, it had performance (on the door "tire pressure" sticker.

for the brand/type. i cleaned off the back of the rack, below the steering linkage. it has the part number there. go from that.

good luck.

ok the diff between 1 piece and 2 piece bushings is just that. where the two bolts hold the rack in place there is either a 1 piece or 2 piece bushing in each of those holes. when you pull the rack see if there is one long rubber bushing or two halves in each side. hope that helps ya.

The previous message is right. Either you have a one piece bushing in the mounting holes or you have two seperate ones in each hole. I changed my rack out on my 87 5.0 lx and I had the trw rack with the one piece bushings. The guy at napa ordered me the rack with two bushings, so I just put the old ones back in. Down the road I should probably go with the polyurethane bushings, I heard they make a great improvement in handling. Good luck hope it works out for you.

i think the hi per rack requires the higher pressure pump. i very well could be wrong. just want to toss that out for somone more knowledgable than i can answer. dont want to create more work than necessary. anyone know?

the 2.25 is the high performance rack... the only difference is a slightly quicker responsive steering... when i replaced mine, i ended up getting the performance rack for the price of the regular since oriely's was outta stock at most of there locations... have fun doin it. not that its really a big job...

noslow5_0 said:
the 2.25 is the high performance rack...QUOTE]
i thought i said that. J/K

be prepared to deal with the bushings too. many racks dont come with the correct bushings (one or two piece). might want to round some nice stiff aftermarket units up beforehand.

good luck.