Mar 31, 2005
Findlay, OH
I have an 89 5.0 Notch with the following mods:

March 5.0 Ram Air Intake
Underdrive Pulleys
Short-throw shifter
MAC Shorty Headers
Catted H-pipe with flows

I have a little money to spend on it and wanted to know what kind of power these additional mods would yield.

Cobra upper/lower intake
Offroad Hipe
AC delete

It still has the stock throttle body and MAF. Would it be worth getting the Cobra intake if I dont have a larger TB and MAF? How much would it help if i bought larger ones? And if so, which size of TB and MAF should I get? Thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, obviously the offroad H pipe will give you more horsepower but if emissions are a concern than you will need the cats. It would benefit to get the cobra intake if you can, there are other good intakes like the trick flow and edelbrock that will put out more power than the cobra. If you dont have any major plans in the future, go with the 65mm TB, and a 19lb calibrated Pro M MAF, not quite sure on the sizes for Pro-m but a 73 mm will fit fine, and maybe switching that ram air to a cold air, i heard bad things about ram air with water sucking in and debris

You'll gain some power but not much. Do please take the ram air off and get your self a fender mount cold air kit, they are cheap and worh it. The Cobra intake is sweet, you could get a 70mmTB and a Pro-M MAFS. You can get one that is 75mm or 80mm.

I would say the Cobra intake will net you more power. Even with the stock TB. You will not gain much from a bigger TB but if you want to get one go with the 65mm. It will be plenty.

For the MAF go with the Pro-M 80. It is much more accurate than the 75.

The A/C delete will not really net you much other than weight as mentioned.

The OR H-pipe will net you a few HP as well.

yeah, the additional mods wont make tons more power, will prolly give more of a placebo effect than seat of your pants feel. but if you get better heads in the future, the intake will allow the heads to breath better and make more power. its all about parts in conjunction withother parts. not individual mods. the more powerful individual mods are forced induction like turbo. sc or nitrous.

~Steve

Hmm, yah I'm still pretty new to modding these. I've owned enough 5.0s in my life, just never modded them. I've spent the better part of the last 2 years modding my SHO. I sold that, and now have money to play with. My I should ask this instead. If you had about $1000 and some change to play with, what mods would I be smart doing?

Don't forget your SFC's.... They don't add power but they sure do stiffen up the body a lot.

You can advance the timing a few degrees to get an additional bump in N/A power also.

stop wasting your money on small crap like that. You want horsepower? buy nitrous, you wont regret it.

Im running a 125 shot on my bone stock motor and I wish I had done it sooner.

Gears and nitrous, THATS IT. and drag radials too. HELLO 12's!!

really, one needs to determine whether or not they need to pass an emissions test. if you dont lose smog pump and all other crap. buy a adjustable fuel pressure regualtor and turn up fuel psi to 40. then 255lph fuel pump and 24# injectors. then worry about MAS and throttle bodies and nitrous and everything else. you need to build a solid base so in the future you can support the greater power adders with ease.