What should I gap my plugs to?

StangGrrLy

Miss StangNet 2003
Founding Member
Sep 25, 2002
Regina, Saskachewan
I just bought some Champion Copper Plus spark plugs. I know I should be using Motorcraft ones but these ones were so so so so so cheap and I heard they work good.....if they don't I'll go get Motorcraft ones and call it a lesson learned. :D Anyways, it says that they are gapped to .044, and I have no clue what they SHOULD be gapped to. They are going into a naturally aspirated 2.3 if that makes any difference.

Anyone?

• Sponsors (?)

bhuff30 said:
I like to put em' in with the tightest gap. then, as they wear, it will still be within spec for a little longer.

Beat me to it :bang: This saves you a little time messing with them laters on and on a DP 2.3L thats a good thing ;)

Now its a little of a trick replaceing these plugs on the intake side. I found it way easy to use a vaccum tube that would hold a sk plug, I slid in a 9" 1/4 extession to help it stay straght. Then you could screw in those hard to install plugs in. I believe its a 3/8 hose that works great. Also you may have smaller hands/arms than me but I had to unplug the vaccum hose to the egr just to get to that last plug. If you got some extra cash buy a swival spark plug socket for your car. This and a 9" extession sure made it easier. I also used spark plug boot pliars which also helped a lot.

Good luck, we all have faith in ya :nice:

Dang, Pro-Hawk that's some good advice :nice: too bad I didn't ask you before I changed plugs last month :( oh well at least I got to invent some new swear words, it was all good until the last two rear plugs on the drivers side :bang:

furvel said:
Dang, Pro-Hawk that's some good advice :nice: too bad I didn't ask you before I changed plugs last month :( oh well at least I got to invent some new swear words, it was all good until the last two rear plugs on the drivers side :bang:

Sorry about that but next time run a search ;) I posted all this a few months ago when I did my plugs on my 2.3L DP. I figured people could use that imfo exspecaily on those last driver's side plugs on a 2.3L DP :D

Thanks for the info dudes, I think I will gap them down to the tightest one, that sounds like an excellent idea.

Yeesh. :( I took a look at them last night....holy crap those are gonna be an absolute beeotch to change. I have a spark plug socket and just about every extension for my socket known to man so hopefully it won't be too bad. I don't have boot pliers though.......am I feeling ambitious enough to do it today? ;)

Which one do you guys think would be the easiest to get out? I want to pull one out first just to see what it looks like and then I'll decide if I do it right away or put it off a little longer. :D

If you have the DP 2.3L, the two middle plugs on the passenger side are likely the easiest to get out. Trust me, you'll want those boot pliers for the hard to reach plugs on the drivers side. I didn't have boot pliers, and the boots came apart when I pulled, and....... :bang: :bang: :bang: I should have known better :nonono:

furvel said:
If you have the DP 2.3L, the two middle plugs on the passenger side are likely the easiest to get out. Trust me, you'll want those boot pliers for the hard to reach plugs on the drivers side. I didn't have boot pliers, and the boots came apart when I pulled, and....... :bang: :bang: :bang: I should have known better :nonono:

Yup those boot pliers helped a lot ;) Also a spark plug socket that swivels also. Do the exhaust side first since they are the easiest to get at. Don't get in a hurry on the intake side and you should be ok.

P.S You never told us or not that I know of...what happend with your fuel pump issue :shrug:

Ah yes, being a girl is a major advantage in changing spark plugs... small hands make reaching the plugs much much easier- even those damn two on the driver's side.

Don't take all the wires off at once unless you label them first. Much better to pull the wires and replace the plugs one at a time. Less chance of miswiring them when you put it back together.

Remember your grease- you need the kind that goes on the threads and the kind that goes on the end which connects to the wire. Makes it much easier to get them out next time they need to be changed.

Oh just another silly tip for those changing plugs. If you can, get an air compressor and blow the plug sockets so dirt down't get in the engine. And it maybe best to change one plug at a time (meaning un-plug the wire, remove plug, put new one in, replug the wire, THEN next plug) :D

Well I finished changing my plugs last night, they all came out normal so that makes me happy. The old ones were Bosch Platinum +4's :eek: I guess the previous owner of this car liked to spend 10 bucks a plug or something lol. Car idles smoother now, seems to be running a little better, so I think it was 20 bucks well spent. :D

Pro-Hawk said:
Crap you got her to help you :shrug: Hell my wife would slap me silly for even asking her :rlaugh: If I was you I would keep her :nice:

Ya i have a supportive Girl Friend (exwife wasn't) , She came to watch make my CAI. and was impressed with it :D i guess it took a second round to find a great gal :nice:

Lex said:
Ya i have a supportive Girl Friend (exwife wasn't) , She came to watch make my CAI. and was impressed with it :D i guess it took a second round to find a great gal :nice:

It helps when they're supportive. My wife use to be that way but now she is to afraid of me...I started buying crap and haven't stoped yet :D