what size cam can i/should i use?

U2SLO450

May 27, 2006
can someone tell me what size cam you can put in a stock 1990 mustang gt. some people tell me that the lift cant exceed .512 and some say .544. I was leaning towards the e303 or maybe the f303 but maybe someone can recommend a different cam besides the motorsport ones. i plan on using the same rockers but i'm going to get new lifters. Will any brand of roller lifters work? I'm also going to use gt40p heads and a cobra upper/lower intake. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

To get max flow on them heads, I would get an E303 with 1.6 roller roller rockers (stock ratio). I have 1.7s with my E303 and they are hurting me. GT40s dont flow past .500 lift. My total lift is .529. Max lift for stock pistons is .544. Strypes setup is a real nice low budget (as I have experienced) and will really step up the power. Say hello to the mid thirteens lol.

I was told that anything over 1.6's requires notching the pistons with a bcam or ecam

MAC'n89Blckstng said:
To get max flow on them heads, I would get an E303 with 1.6 roller roller rockers (stock ratio). I have 1.7s with my E303 and they are hurting me. GT40s dont flow past .500 lift. My total lift is .529. Max lift for stock pistons is .544. Strypes setup is a real nice low budget (as I have experienced) and will really step up the power. Say hello to the mid thirteens lol.

Is that it with GT40 X heads :shrug: I was hoping for high 12's :notnice: