What suspension to put on 2003 GT??

• Sponsors (?)

I have the Hotchkis TVS kit on my 2k3 GT. This suspension kit was straight-forward to install and is nothing short of incredible. Let's just put it this way -- there is more suspension than the average GT driver can drive.

I've talked with the local shops and they concur that Hotchkis makes the best kits available. Since I have no first hand experience with any other kit, I can't comment. I also have some sub-frames, as well. All in all, the handling now rivals my friends Honda S-2000, which is quite the example of factory engineered handling straight outta' the box.

I am going to go with bilstien shocks(from bimmerparts) and struts, H&R sprinks, cc plates and subframe connectors to start with. Unless you plan on autocrossing I think I would do the suspention in stages. that way you don't spend money on things you don't need. If I feel I need more after that I will add it. I have a feeling that will be enough for me.

I know I hate the stock setup but I have no illusions that I am going to be on the track. my car is my daily driver.

rules of thumb so to speek. everyone seems to think koni's are the best they just happen to be the most expensive. I have never heard anything bad about bilstien eccept the price. MOST other shocks and struts you will hear someone have a complaint about now and then. Deciede how much lower you want your car or if you car because some springs have diffenent drops. search the forum for some pics. that is why I chose h&r.

anytime you ask a question like this it help to put down some kind of budget because you can spend $400-$4000 on suspention mods

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/index.asp

here is another site to browse.

The main thing I wish to impart is that changing out the rear lower arms makes a HUGE handling difference, well worth every dollar (good idea to do the uppers, too).

Also, fwiw, I love my set up ...though I am solely a street/ canyon carver (not a drag racer).

This is what i hate about suspension thread. Noone ever knows or maybe they just never say which suspension is good for what. Not ever suspension on the market is best for drag racing...not every suspension is best for autocross, not ever suspension can be best for daily comfort. So my question is all the suspension listed above what are their quality in each area. One that puts more power to the ground may or may not increase ride comfort so what is it?

I want a suspension that gains some ability to put more power to the ground efficiently but sacrifice no ride quality and actually increase it somewhat On top of that be good for the twisties. What suspension is best for that?

kirkyg

kirkyg said:
I want a suspension that gains some ability to put more power to the ground efficiently but sacrifice no ride quality and actually increase it somewhat On top of that be good for the twisties. What suspension is best for that?
Aside from that "more power to the ground" comment (which I will leave to the drag racers), I think mine is very good for what you ask. As far as "ride quality", that is VERY subjective. I consider my ride "firm but not harsh", very streetable. ... fwiw ...

I currently have the tokico package - shocks, struts, adn springs - i dont like there springs becasue my driver side sits a 1/2 lower than the passenger side. I also have the steeda front sway bar. Seems to do its job. I will be swapping my sway bar and springs for a complete hotchkis kit. I may even swap out my shocks and struts - depends..

damacman said:
I have the Hotchkis TVS kit on my 2k3 GT. This suspension kit was straight-forward to install and is nothing short of incredible. Let's just put it this way -- there is more suspension than the average GT driver can drive.

I've talked with the local shops and they concur that Hotchkis makes the best kits available. Since I have no first hand experience with any other kit, I can't comment. I also have some sub-frames, as well. All in all, the handling now rivals my friends Honda S-2000, which is quite the example of factory engineered handling straight outta' the box.

Did you install this kit yourself? Looks like an easy kit to install..Also, does the kit come with the company's own specs for an alignment afterwards?