What type of Clutch to get?

stang2000

Mar 31, 2005
Illinois
Spec Stage 1 or Stage 2
Centerforce Dual Friction
Ram Performance Powergrip
Ford Racing King Cobra

I was wanting to get everyone's input on what type of clutch and fly wheel to run in my stang. I'm having trouble making a decision.

2000 Ford Mustang GT
P1SC ATI Procharger with FR 42# injectors running at 8psi with 2-core intercooler.
Pro-M Blow Thru Mass Air Meter
3.73 Gears
Stock Driveshaft
Stock T-5 Tranny
Pro 5.0 shifter (Upgrading to MGW Shifter)
Rears BFGoodrich 275/40/17 FR500 17x10.5 Chrome Deep Dish Rims
Fronts BFGoorich 245.45.17 FR500 17x9 Chrome Rims
Lakewood Rear 50/50 Drag Shocks
Lakewood Rear Action Traction Bars (Replaces lower control arm and includes an axle wrap, eliminating the need for quad shocks)
Lakewood Rear Upper Control Arms
Lakewood Front 70/30 Drag Struts
Ok There are loads more I've done to the car, but that's just enough to help with the clutch and fly wheel question I believe. Well probably more than needed, but hey, spending over $14,000 in mods and aftermarket parts, you're going to tell.

I believe the clutch is slowly going out. I can't get the power to the ground. It's running around 400 hp(dyno tune this May 06) I just replaced all the tires. I had 245's in the rear and jumped to the 275. It still seems like it doesn't hook up on the road. Although it is 3 degrees outside. I usually don't take it out in the winter, but no snow, so I wanted to get it out. Anyway, I can smell something like clutch fry, lol, when I get through the gears. It's not a tire burn smell, we all know that smell, so I'm thinking the clutch is going out. I figured I'd see for sure when I got the new tires put on (which I did 3 days ago). Still seems to be the same issue.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

My car info: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2218011

• Sponsors (?)

I have a Centerforce Dual Friction. It grabs great but lets you keep that stock feel of the pedal. I love it. I had a really stiff one on my last mustang(King Cobra clutch) I like this much better its way easier for daily driving.
My car chirps 4th gear w/ the Centerforce. (probably because my tires are bald as hell!!!!!)

LIke Helty said consider the Mcleod. Im trying to decide between the Centerforce and Mcleod and he has me leaning more toward Mcleod. I would go with

1. Mcleod/Centerforce
2. Ford king Cobra
3. Ram
4. Spec (should't even consider this one)

For the flywheel I would try and match it with whichever clutch you go with. If you go with Centerforce clutch, get the centerforce flywheel. Mcleod clutch, get Mcleod flywheel ect.

bakos24 said:
LIke Helty said consider the Mcleod. Im trying to decide between the Centerforce and Mcleod and he has me leaning more toward Mcleod. I would go with

1. Mcleod/Centerforce
2. Ford king Cobra
3. Ram
4. Spec (should't even consider this one)

For the flywheel I would try and match it with whichever clutch you go with. If you go with Centerforce clutch, get the centerforce flywheel. Mcleod clutch, get Mcleod flywheel ect.
there was a guy who JUST installed his McLeod a few days ago. He's gonna wait until the break in period is over to leave some feedback on it. If you can wait, maybe that would be a good idea. :shrug: He said pedal effort was very close to stock.

helty said:
there was a guy who JUST installed his McLeod a few days ago. He's gonna wait until the break in period is over to leave some feedback on it. If you can wait, maybe that would be a good idea. :shrug: He said pedal effort was very close to stock.

The wait might be a little long, my car will only be out in april. I drove it about 2 miles to get home from the dealer and it felt very good but can't give more than that :( .

WillDuhhBeast said:
On the mcleod note.. is the best place to get it from maximum motorsports?

What kind whould I need for a 2003 gt? I get really confused with clutch talk.
Just go to MM's web-site (best prices I know of. Still more expensive than Centerforce/Spec, etc.).

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/clutchpackages.asp

For a 2003 w/ T-3650, you will need either P/N CP-11 or CP-13. CP-13, the stage 3, is probably too much for a street car. I got the Stage 2 (CP-11).