What type of gains from a good cam on stock h/i?

Ed Hohenburg is a well know racer, so if thats what his car has and runs I sure believe it. I gaurentee it isnt as cut and dry as a cam, you better believe it has every supporting bolt on, on a well built chassis, but I believe stock heads, intake and bottem end. Also after running what I ran with stock port sizes, I believe it no problem. People are too quick to throw out the stock stuff and not see what they can do!

• Sponsors (?)

Ed Hohenburg's car was a winning Factory Stock car and he was subject to tear down and inspection, so you can believe his stuff was within the rules - but just barely. These guys make a science of how to get HP out of every piece that goes into the car. Most of us will never be able to match their results with a typical modders budget.

I know superchargers having really been mentioned, since we're talking about mostly stock engines here, but there's a guy in the new 5.0 mag, i believe he's running an S-trim and some type of fuel management on an otherwise completely stock long block, intake/heads/cam and all. It says that as far as the guy knows the valve covers havent ever been removed (says he bought the car with like 30k on it), and the car is running 10.9s.... I think a lot of it all comes down to some serious tuning on a dyno by someone who really knows their EFI stuff. As for the cammed-10 second car mentioned above....i totally believe it if the car has a stout suspension and chassis with a very skilled driver and great traction.A good driver alone got the current GTs into the 13s with NOTHING done to them except pulling out the spare and loosening the sway bar endlinks, and that's on stock street tires. If you're talking about a car with a sweet rear end setup built with nice matching parts, a nice ridgid chassis and slicks paired with a guy who can drive the balls off his car, i don't see why you couldnt do the usual gears/pullies/ignition/fuel mods on a stock long block and run 10s with a custom cam and some skilled tuning. LIke Mike said, the car is a turd in every day driving, but there's no doubt you couldnt build a car with 1/4 mile trips in mind with the stock motor and run that fast.

Like I said, the main reason I was looking at a cam first, is because it IS a lot cheaper to even afford a $250 cam, then is to afford a $1,300+ h/i combo. On tmoss, I believe he required an explorer or cobra lower, IIRC. He didn't do the stock lower. Does anyone have a clue as to how much it would cost to get my heads ported locally? Thing is, my 18th birthday is coming up December 15th, and xmas is the 25th. My parents wanted to know what I wanted for bday and xmas, and I know for SURE I want **** for my car. I have probably a $300 budget or so, POSSIBLY a bit more, but most likely around 300. I was thinking 4.10's, but then 4.10's would be more in the area of $400+ with the speedo gear and labor (no way I could tackle that at home). So ya...Any other ideas?

Logan

I get a kick out of people that call bullcrap on things that are documanted in NMRA, NHRA and pretty much every mustang rag in existance.
Willies, do a little research sir, it'll open your eyes.
Ed's car has a stock bottom end, stock pistons, stock unported heads and stock unported intakes. It' goes 11's, not 10's.
3 angle valve job as the class rules allow, and of course springs to match the cam.
Not sure if the stock pistons are cut, I'd guess they are.
I'd be suprised if he had stock lifters, but does not have a soild setup.
The car is definatly made to hook and go strainght, I believe he runs 4.30's and a 28" tire.
None of this takes away from the fact that the stock heads/intakes can make power.
Would you want to be in 5pm traffic with it... not likley. Wife wanna run the the hair parlour in it... probably not.
He does drive it on the street tho, all be it not in a daily driver capacity.

So.
Ed makes 290/330 at the wheels with a wild cam.
Who's to say 260-270/300-310 isn't possible with a livable cam?

The question was what is the potential, I tried to give an example, and yes, there are definate side effects.

cleanLX said:
I get a kick out of people that call bullcrap on things that are documanted in NMRA, NHRA and pretty much every mustang rag in existance.
Willies, do a little research sir, it'll open your eyes.
Ed's car has a stock bottom end, stock pistons, stock unported heads and stock unported intakes. It' goes 11's, not 10's.
3 angle valve job as the class rules allow, and of course springs to match the cam.
Not sure if the stock pistons are cut, I'd guess they are.
I'd be suprised if he had stock lifters, but does not have a soild setup.
The car is definatly made to hook and go strainght, I believe he runs 4.30's and a 28" tire.
None of this takes away from the fact that the stock heads/intakes can make power.
Would you want to be in 5pm traffic with it... not likley. Wife wanna run the the hair parlour in it... probably not.
He does drive it on the street tho, all be it not in a daily driver capacity.

So.
Ed makes 290/330 at the wheels with a wild cam.
Who's to say 260-270/300-310 isn't possible with a livable cam?

The question was what is the potential, I tried to give an example, and yes, there are definate side effects.
I understand the facts you have stated.Sorry I came off like an @sshole,I was in a sh@tty mood.BUT,if thats the case,why get afr's,or twh's,or even Thumpers.If the heads and intake have that much potential,why not just get a cam!!Which he wanted to do in the first place!!If I can get in the 11's with them,why not just get a good cam?

willys1 said:
I understand the facts you have stated.Sorry I came off like an @sshole,I was in a sh@tty mood.BUT,if thats the case,why get afr's,or twh's,or even Thumpers.If the heads and intake have that much potential,why not just get a cam!!Which he wanted to do in the first place!!If I can get in the 11's with them,why not just get a good cam?

Not everyone can do what the fastest cars in the country are doing. Ed I believe ran NHRA not NMRA Factory Stock, and for anyone who has seen NHRA cars, they are insane. They have the best of the best and make every ounce of power work. Im sure he isnt the only one doing it, but he had the most coverage of his car. There are backyard guys running insane times that you dont read about all the time, but doesnt mean every guy with a wrench and some money will do it also!

I believe Justin Burcham back in his FS days threw on a set of E7 heads and a stock intake and ran in the 11s with a stock cam as well. Again Willy, you might not be able to do it, doesnt mean others havent...

It takes some guys AFRs, custom cams, Intakes and the whole 9 yards to run 11s, yet will take others a few choice power mods, and the right suspension to do it! I have learned to accept that fact, and has given me a goal to aim for!

25thmustang said:
Not everyone can do what the fastest cars in the country are doing. Ed I believe ran NHRA not NMRA Factory Stock, and for anyone who has seen NHRA cars, they are insane. They have the best of the best and make every ounce of power work. Im sure he isnt the only one doing it, but he had the most coverage of his car. There are backyard guys running insane times that you dont read about all the time, but doesnt mean every guy with a wrench and some money will do it also!

I believe Justin Burcham back in his FS days threw on a set of E7 heads and a stock intake and ran in the 11s with a stock cam as well. Again Willy, you might not be able to do it, doesnt mean others havent...

It takes some guys AFRs, custom cams, Intakes and the whole 9 yards to run 11s, yet will take others a few choice power mods, and the right suspension to do it! I have learned to accept that fact, and has given me a goal to aim for!
Very well put :nice: On a lighter note,,is there anyway I can hook up the 5 spd auto that comes in the new stang,to my 5.0 :rolleyes:

And another thing, gas mileage doesn't worry me too much. I'm getting around 13mpg average city driving anyways, can't see how it could get much worse than that. :nonono: I appreciate all the help. So if a cam is out, I say this, what is the BEST bang for my buck with $350 or so?

Logan

Maybe a set of roller rockers. That is about the right price for some. It will free up some HP for ya without hurting any performance. I am not sure how much but probably about 10HP. Also a lot less work than a cam. Throttle body and Mass Air would be nice but you probably won't be too much good untill the heads and intake are changed. Also don't rule out suspension mods.
Kevin