What would you buy?

88GTStreetRod

Jan 5, 2004
USA
Would you buy a 347 short block or supercharger?

These are the mods that I currently have:

1.6 Stud Mount Roller Rockers
155 LPH Fuel Pump
180 Degree Thermostat
1998 GT Front Brakes
1998 GT Spindles
2 Chamber Flow Masters With Turn Downs
24lbs Injectors
4.10 Gears
5 Lug Conversion
70 mm Throttle Body
75mm Pro M Mass Air Meter
9mm Wires
Accel Coil
BBK Adjustable Fuel Regulator
BBK Sub Frame Connectors
Cobra Mass Air Conversion
E303 Custom Grind Cam
Edelbrock Aluminum Performer RPM Cylinder Heads
Edelbrock Performer RPM II Intake
Edelbrock Performer RPM II Plenum
Hooker Ceramic Long Tubes
Hardened Push Rods
March Cold Air Induction
March Under Drive Pulleys
MSDBTM Ignition System
Off Road H Pipe
SEFI Engine Harness
Steeda Springs
Steeda Trax Shifter

• Sponsors (?)

Either way you're going to have to do alot more to your fuel system. This is my guess... but.. 347 with the heads & intake you already have would probably be better off with 30 lb injectors, and a 255 fuel pump. A blower on your current setup, probably 36 or 42 lb injectors, and an inline fuel pump along with the 255 intank. But then your 4.10s would be a bit much as far as gear.

I like boost myself, so if I were in your shoes, spending your money, but still my mind :D i'd boost it and go back to a 3.55 or so gear. But a 347 under them heads and intake, better fuel system, with the 4.10s you got would be an absolute beast on slicks at the track too...

Pfft.. flip a coin. :shrug:

I like it. Easy to adjust and dead on accurate. With the supercharger, the problem with the 4.10 is that you run out of gear? I just put thme in and hate to waste money, but I am looking for more power. I am leaning towards a supercharger over the stroker. My car only has 18k original miles and would prefer to keep the original 302 block in it or available is I swap. I am trying to figure out the best way for my car to scream. I would like it to be a true street contender one day.

Well, i'm gonna say again, after reading your replies, that i would supercharge. I suppose that you could run a 28x9" slick at the track, and you 'might' be ok. I seem to remember a 1" taller increase in tire size is roughly equivalent to dropping your gear down 13 numbers.. So a two inch taller tire, would be like going from 4.10s to roughly 3.84:1 gear. :shrug:

Or

Buy another 8.8" rear, and BUILD it up because when you supercharge the car, you'll likely need a good posi unit, better axles, c clip elims if you wanna drag race it alot, and then your 3.55 gears. And then, when its time to do so, sell the one you have in your car, complete with the 4.10s, it'll likely sell real fast.. and install the built 8.8.. :shrug: