Whats different btw the Windsor and Romeo 4.6s?

I was curious about a few differences in the Romeo vs the Windsor motors? Do most mustangs have the Romeo or the Windsor? I am sure there are a book full of differences, but I am most interested in the rods,pistons,and crank differences etc.

Anyone have any good information? I found out that the bullitt has the windsor hence the X in the vin 8th position from the right, but I don't know much about the differences.

Maybe I'll just google it............ :D

• Sponsors (?)

Got an awesome article with all of the differences you'll ever want to read, but I can't post it at work. (stupid firewalls :bang: ) I'll post in when I'm home in about 3hrs unless someone beats me to it.

this is coming just from memory. the windsor uses jack screws in the outside main cap holes while the romeo uses locating studs. the windsor was intended for trucks and is slightly stronger. some of the windsor 2v motors came with a 8 bolt crank. also the main bearings are different and not interchangable. some of the windsor motors had a different pattern on the valve covers, hence the offering of 13/14 bolt valve covers instead of the usualy 11/12 bolt. all of teh internals are interchangable.

Did my own research, all 99+ stangs should have the windsor mortors. Yes differences in the crank journals and the jacking studs etc. Valve covers have different bolt patterns. 8bolt crank on the 99+s vs the 6bolt on the romeo. The romeo also has the windage tray on the cam galleries. High volume oil pump on the windsor motor, and the windsor accepts the cobra crank without any machining of the jouranls. You still have to machine for clearance of the rotating assembly, but.

A lot of differences! Basically I think all 99+ have the Windsor.

Mustang_GT_02 said:
so whats better a Windsor or a Romeo?
Either or.....ones is every bit as good as the other, really. Some like the idea of the Windsors use of dowels instead of jack screws with regards to cross bolting the mains, but it's really shown no strength advantage or disadvantage one way or the other.