whats the best way to get the spindles off?!

89drop

Aug 30, 2009
ok, so i got the front of my fox ready to do the front 5 lug conversion...
im having some troubles getting the spindles off of the ball joint, is there an easy way to do this, or at leas some advice someone can give? thanks again guys, i know im probably starting to be a pain in the A$$ here lately.:D

• Sponsors (?)

A pickle fork would do it if you are not reusing the ball joint.

Do you have air tools or a 4 pound hammer?

If the springs were still in it, you could loosen the nut on the balljoint, apply some penetrating oil and some heat, and then whack the spindle and let the spring pressure do the job. If the springs are out of it, do the same thing, only whack harder. You'll probably find a nice square pad on front or side of the spindle that's perfect for hammer application. Use it. Also, thread a balljoint nut onto the threads until it's almost flush with the top of them, and they're protected. Hammer on that too.

torch-cutting-plate.robotskirts.jpg

If the springs were still in it, you could loosen the nut on the balljoint, apply some penetrating oil and some heat, and then whack the spindle and let the spring pressure do the job. If the springs are out of it, do the same thing, only whack harder. You'll probably find a nice square pad on front or side of the spindle that's perfect for hammer application. Use it. Also, thread a balljoint nut onto the threads until it's almost flush with the top of them, and they're protected. Hammer on that too.

If you want to save the ball-joints, that's the method to use.

getting frustrated!

ok, so i have all my parts together, tools laid out, and ready to work...
i broke the nuts free on the strut, took the tie rod end nut off, put it back on upside down till it was flush and gave it a few good wacks and...NOTHING! is there a better way to get this done? i also put some oil on it to try to free it up, let it sit for a while, and still nothing! would an air hammer work any better? i havent tried this yet, but i do have the air hammer so... any advice on this? thanks again!:shrug:

Put the jackstands under the k member and let the spring push the a arm down. Loosen the nut on the balljoint but don't remove it. With the spring pushing the a arm down, take a hammer and whack the a arm on the side. The spring should help push the arm down while the blows loosen the bond.

Spray it down with penetrating oil the night before and let it sit.

Don't unscrew the nut off the balljoint too much...just enough to pop the spindle loose. But you want the nut to catch the spindle when it pops.

It's a pita, but it cam be done. Some heat on the spindle helps top....but don't melt the balljoint

Put the jackstands under the k member and let the spring push the a arm down. Loosen the nut on the balljoint but don't remove it. With the spring pushing the a arm down, take a hammer and whack the a arm on the side. The spring should help push the arm down while the blows loosen the bond.

Spray it down with penetrating oil the night before and let it sit.

Don't unscrew the nut off the balljoint too much...just enough to pop the spindle loose. But you want the nut to catch the spindle when it pops.

It's a pita, but it cam be done. Some heat on the spindle helps top....but don't melt the balljoint

finally got some progress!!! got side 1 apart, and mostly back together. i just need to pick up some new cotter pins! i think the big problem i was having is that i was trying to take the spindle apart with the rotor on...
i didnt think i was going to be able to get it off because the previous owner had installed a 4-5 lug adapter, and the bolts to get it off were stripped and pretty rusted in! i was able to pry the dust cap out by drilling a small hole in it, putting a metal screw, and using a slide hammer...it was a pretty tight fit! thanks guys for all your help and tips! and the spacers are perfect!:hail2: