whats the oil guage actually tell me?

Guys,

On the 93 and earlier Mustangs, the stock oil pressure gauge did give variable oil pressure readings. The stock oil pressure gauge on the 94/95 Mustangs do not. The sender is a switch. It's either on or off just like a lightswitch. There's no debate here as this info is from the Factory shop manual. The gauge will indicate normal if oil pressure is approximately 4.5 PSI or higher (I'd have to pull out my shop manual to confirm the exact PSI) The needle should point to the M in Normal.
If your stock oil pressure gauge needle is low or wandering, then your oil pressure sender is shot or you have a bad ground somewhere.

When I first bought my 95 GT, my oil pressure was wandering around all over the place. I replaced the sender and now it is steady at the M in Normal.

To repeat what Hairy said with regards to your oil pressure gauge, it doesn't matter if your actual oil pressure is 10 PSI or 60 PSI. The stock oil pressure gauge will show the oil pressure around the middle of the normal range.

I have taken the stock sender apart (by accident). It's not just a switch, it's a slide on a resistor. I have noticed a difference in the gauge too. I have both the stock gauge and a mechanical one. When I went from a stock motor, it read 'R' at around 40 psi, and now it reads 'L' at around 60 psi. It's not just a dummy gauge.
Your stock oil pressure sender is shot Revhead. Replace it with a new one and you'll see your oil pressure return to the middle of the normal range.

PS. This topic has been covered MANY times before. I'd recommend anyone who doubts what I've posted either do a search here and on The Corral or buy a Factory shop manual CD ($10 on Ebay) and read for yourself.

• Sponsors (?)

donjohn said:
as to try and overt further argument... is it possible that ford did put dummy gauges on some cars and slipped in real gauges on others without putting it in the ebay manual?
Nope. When you buy the part from Ford, its actually listed as an oil pressure switch right on the box. The same switch is used from 94 to present day new stangs as far as I know. It's probably used on other Ford vehicles as well. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on that last part.
The shop manual you can buy from E-bay is just a burnt copy of the actual Ford electronic shop manual that some guy pirated and is trying to make a couple of bucks from. The design for the oil pressure sender is a switch. On or off. Not variable.

Cheers

A little more light reading on this topic from the SOHC forum over on Corral;
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20741&highlight=pressure+sender

From reading this thread, it looks like you could modify the stock setup on the 94/95 car's to get a functioning variable oil pressure gauge, but you better be handy with a soldering gun to do it!! It would probably be cheaper and easier just to go with an add-on auto-meter gauge.

94 to present day new stangs as far as I know. It's probably used on other Ford vehicles as well. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on that last part.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

mustangs, grand-marquis, continental, crown vics.,

The same switch is used from 94 to present day new stangs as far as I know. It's probably used on other Ford vehicles as well. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong on that last part.

mustangs, crown vics., continentals, grand marquis. sables to I think

Silver85TC said:
A little more light reading on this topic from the SOHC forum over on Corral;
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20741&highlight=pressure+sender

From reading this thread, it looks like you could modify the stock setup on the 94/95 car's to get a functioning variable oil pressure gauge, but you better be handy with a soldering gun to do it!! It would probably be cheaper and easier just to go with an add-on auto-meter gauge.

I found this web site, that includes the instructions and adds photos.

http://www.sfuller.net/projects/cobra/oilgauge/

I'm pretty sure the GT cluster would be the same. I wonder if I could apply the same fix to my 94 V6 as well... :scratch:

93' and 95' Mustangs use the exact same oil pressure sender. The variations may be dampened, but they are still there. I have a mechanical gauge, so I have no reason to bother with the stock sender. I stand by my original argument.

Kurt

93' and 95' Mustangs use the exact same oil pressure sender.
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure the design wasn't changed until 94 with the rest of the major overhaul that Ford did on the Mustang. Then again, I've never owned a 93, so I could be wrong. Anyone else know?

I stand by my original argument.
I'm not trying to be a d!ck here, but considering all of the facts that have been presented here from a number of different sources, why would you say that?

They are the same from 93'-95'. 92s' and older are a different part number, but basically the same thing. You can look it up on PartsAmerica.com

Kurt