What's wrong with my idle?

Today my car stalled while I was cruising in neutral. I then noticed that it had a surge at idle. It goes up and down from 600 to 500 and makes the car vibrate. The only mod I have is the K&N FIPK. Could this cause the car to have a rough idle? What else could it be?

• Sponsors (?)

Some '01 owners have reported stalling while in neutral (more so documented by the 03/04 "stall" issue). Never heard of a "smoking gun" for the cause of the stalling, but some have tried replacing/cleaning the IAC (Idle Air Control) on the upper intake hat...

It's possible the CAI you added may be contributing to the problem and/or the surge. Did you disconnect the battery after adding the K&N FIPK? It's possible the car's computer/PCM needs to adapt to the new air intake tract... :shrug:

Also, is the A/C turned on when you notice the surging? Was this problem present before the CAI was installed?

I did disconnect the battery before I installed the K&N FIPK. It stalled with the AC on. Then I turned it off and then I noticed the surging at idle. I was thinking possibly the fuel filter? I did not notice this problem before the K&N. I am going to put the stock air intake back on and then see if it still does it. I hope its the K&N, then it will be an easy fix. So much for adding more power. :nonono: