Where is the "dogbone" weight?

Ethereal Zer0

Founding Member
Sep 26, 2002
Everett, WA
Where is the dogbone weight located? I keep reading about it in misc threads but don't have the slightest clue where it is lol. Is it safe to take if off for a daily driven car? What else can I do to reduce weight but still have a daily driveable car?

• Sponsors (?)

It's that square rusty steel unit under the rear end pumpkin. Two long bolts hold it on. When the bolts come off there is a black bracket on top of the pumpkin that will come out too. It is safe to take it off. Any aluminum replacement will knock some weight off (control arms, heads, etc.).

it's hanging from the differential. If you have swapped gears from stock, you can remove it with no ill effects. Remember to get 2 bolts and nuts to use to put the bumpstop plate that's on the top side back on though.

It's to remove vibrations and harmonics from the rear end caused by the stock gears. Has nothing to do with chassis stiffness. If you don't have stock gears anymore, remove it. Weighs like 10 lbs

summer_03_1_91.jpg

Big rusty thing at the top...

Jake

Last5.0 said:
it's hanging from the differential. If you have swapped gears from stock, you can remove it with no ill effects. Remember to get 2 bolts and nuts to use to put the bumpstop plate that's on the top side back on though.

Why do you have to put the bumpstop plate back on...I didn't and it doesn't seem to have did anything.... :shrug: