which 351?

how much power are you really looking for is the question you should really start with? daily driver and extreme reliability or all out drag? do you have to worry about smog? do you want a roller cam?

i stumbled upon a 1974 351w for cheap so my block choice wasnt a question and depending upon how you answered the above questions it might not be that big of a choice for you either.

i knew for a fact i wanted extreme reliability, had to pass smog, i wanted atleast 500hp at the crank. here is the jist of my set up and im pretty sure im going to be in the neighborhood of everything i want except for maybe smog....

D4AE block bored .60
3.85 stroke crank
D6OE "football" rods
kieth black 26cc dished pistons
f-303 cam
world products windsor jr heads (58cc)
1.72 scorpion rockers
edelbrock performer upper and lower intake
42lb injectors

my current bore and stroke comes out to 399 cubic inchs and i figure my compression is going to be around 9.5-9.8. my mains and heads are both studded and im also running a main girdle so it should be very reliable. im not positive but i think im in my horsepower range ball park, if im not then once i throw on some afr heads im sure ill be at my goal. im not looking for a drag car just a serious street car.

i think you should start with a goal of what you are wanting and then start planning on how to reach that goal, i personally dont think your exact block choice is a very important decision until you have a plan.

• Sponsors (?)