Which Alternator?

Red66GT

Jul 14, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
I just installed my 2nd amp, the system sounds awesome, but now My lights dim when I'm sitting at idle w/ the music turned up. I'm thinking about getting a 200 watt alternator since I heard capacitors don't really do anything.

I don't know which alternator to get b/c I have a 97 GT w/ an 01 Bullitt engine in it. I noticed the alts for 96-98 are different than for 99+...which one do I need???

• Sponsors (?)

Red66GT said:
I just installed my 2nd amp, the system sounds awesome, but now My lights dim when I'm sitting at idle w/ the music turned up. I'm thinking about getting a 200 watt alternator since I heard capacitors don't really do anything.

I don't know which alternator to get b/c I have a 97 GT w/ an 01 Bullitt engine in it. I noticed the alts for 96-98 are different than for 99+...which one do I need???

if it is a complete bullitt engine, including intake, etc...you will need the bullit one...if you get a 200 amp one..make sure you get all the wiring to go with it...I have a capacitor, and my lights barely dim at all...running 1100 watts..

Red66GT said:
hmm...what capacitor? and are u running your stock alt? if so, how long have u been running your setup w/ that alt?

1.0 farad cap...my stock alternator just went out a couple months ago...that was the original alt on the car..ran it for 2 yrs or so with that system...just replaced it with another stocker...

Red66GT said:
maybe I'll try a cap 1st, spending 100 dollars on it sure is easier on the wallet than spending 400 bucks on an alternator to replace 1 (although weaker) that's still working fine.

I couldn't see forking out 400 bucks for a "better" alternator...I would rather spend half that and take my chances...

there are 2 farad caps out there now for about 120 bucks or so...check on ebay...

2 farad caps for 120, thats pretty damn good. I was looking at cardomain and they had some pretty good prices on the 1 farad caps. My system puts out less than 1000 watts, so I think 1 farad would be fine. I wonder if there would be any advantage if I ran 2 anyway.

Red66GT said:
2 farad caps for 120, thats pretty damn good. I was looking at cardomain and they had some pretty good prices on the 1 farad caps. My system puts out less than 1000 watts, so I think 1 farad would be fine. I wonder if there would be any advantage if I ran 2 anyway.

for the extra couple of bucks...might as well get the 2...if the prices would have been this cheap when I bought mine, I would have got the 2.