Which Drag Tires????

reeber

10 Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
Berlin, NJ
I should finally friggin have my car back this weekend from the tranny upgrade (TKOII) and the S-Trim... Now I need tires to hook up all this power.. It looks like the BFG D/R's are the way to go, but I am usure of where to buy a pair. see my sig.. I have 17 x 8 rims and am thinking of going 275/40's.. Help...

• Sponsors (?)

GinoGT said:
Don't screw around with drag radials, just go straight to the slicks. If I had to do it again, I would at least get 15" DRs if not slicks.

i second that.

i regret ever buying dr's. as soon as i either, a) burn them off, or b) sell them, i'm getting slicks for when i go to the track. & i'll just get regular tires for the street :nice:

but if you are set on it, just for the street- nitto's work well on the street, but NOT (for me at least) at the track. i can launch from 4500 on the street & i'm gone, but at the track it's all smoke :nonono: :notnice:

c2see21 said:
i regret ever buying dr's. as soon as i either, a) burn them off, or b) sell them, i'm getting slicks for when i go to the track. & i'll just get regular tires for the street :nice:

Same here. I live a distance from the track and I'm afraid of messing up my prostars, so I usually put my tires on when I get there. Since I don't drive on them anyway I should've just gotten some slicks to begin with.

reeber said:
I just don't want to deal with the hassle of changing rims every time I run the car... You know??

IMO, it's worth the hassle. how often are you at the track anyways? if you are dead set on dr's & dont' have to have 17's get the new MT dr's, the hook like crazy. if you have to have 17's then the bfg's for sure :nice:

c2see21 said:
IMO, it's worth the hassle. how often are you at the track anyways? if you are dead set on dr's & dont' have to have 17's get the new MT dr's, the hook like crazy. if you have to have 17's then the bfg's for sure :nice:

I will probably only hit the track about 3 times before it gets too cold, but I still want a tire that hooks really good on the street.. I am using my 17's, so I guess the BFG's are the way to go? Are they a good soft compound as opposed to my plastic Kumho 712's? I spun before the supercharger was installed... Best 60' time was 2.08 and I was told that it was really good for those tires.

reeber said:
I will probably only hit the track about 3 times before it gets too cold, but I still want a tire that hooks really good on the street.. I am using my 17's, so I guess the BFG's are the way to go? Are they a good soft compound as opposed to my plastic Kumho 712's? I spun before the supercharger was installed... Best 60' time was 2.08 and I was told that it was really good for those tires.

if it were me i wouldn't buy them this year. due to the headache you are going to have to deal with in the NE winter, especially for only 3 trips to the track.

nittos = hooks great on the street, toss up on the track, with decent tread wear
bfg's = hooks great at the track, wears down fast on the street
mt's = about the same as the bfg's discription

it's your call man

c2see21 said:
if it were me i wouldn't buy them this year. due to the headache you are going to have to deal with in the NE winter, especially for only 3 trips to the track.

nittos = hooks great on the street, toss up on the track, with decent tread wear
bfg's = hooks great at the track, wears down fast on the street
mt's = about the same as the bfg's discription

it's your call man

Good point, but i still have a good month and a half of decent weather. I think I'll go with the BFG's, but have no idea where to purchase them and no clue on the correct size tire with my 17 x 8 wheels. Any ideas guys?

reeber said:
Good point, but i still have a good month and a half of decent weather. I think I'll go with the BFG's, but have no idea where to purchase them and no clue on the correct size tire with my 17 x 8 wheels. Any ideas guys?

I've heard that the new M/T drags radials are better than the BFG's :shrug:
No experience with them but I'll find out in the spring

From what I've heard, the new M/T DR's are made from the same compound of rubber that the ET Streets are, just made exactly like a radial.

I spoke to a guy a the strip last month who was running M/T DR's on his Grand National and he said his car hooked better with the M/T's than it did with BFG DR's.

A guy I work with runs BFG's on his 94 Stang and loves them , but he hasn't been to the strip with them yet. :shrug:

I've heard nothing but complaints about the Nitto's and was told not to bother with them.

like stated already

nitto - good for a daily driver who likes traction on the street, not great for track use, but work well for mild setups IMO

BFG - good for a street driven stang that won't see the rain and they last less than 5k miles from what i've seen...work well at the track

M/T - good for the track and the street, they don't last long at all...best strip choice by far but don't get caught in the rain

2002BLGT said:
370 rwhp here and 275 bfg drag radials will hook on the street decent but arent worth a crap at the track , might as well run regular tires at the track ... going to 315 bfg drags next

If you cant hook with 275 BFG dont even waste your money on 315s. Either the track prep wasnt good or your driving just sucks. I pull 1.6 60fts all day on them.