Which Drag Tires????

reeber:

I own the 275/40/17 BFG DRs you're considering purchasing. Dont! I'll tell you why - you'll break the axles. Contrary to what folks have said in this thread, these tires will hook like nobody's business with a good track prep. You'll do that one time, and ride home on a flat bed truck - been there, done that . . .

Instead, get the 15" BFG DRs in a 50 or 60 series. These will have some sidewall deflection, which will lessen the strain on your rear end, the 17" have none. Also, this side wall deflection will give you better traction on launches.

Put 'em on some cheap junk-yard rims and keep them in the garage until you go racing - they're only good for 5k miles on the street . . .

• Sponsors (?)

I cut 1.59-1.7 with my MT et streets. They hook incredibly. Oh yah you live like 10min me I'm in Audubon. Do you run at atco? I'd be happy to show you how they hook after I get re tuned at the end of this month. We would also have a pretty good race s-trim vs. s-trim

m/t drag radials are sick, softer than my et streets.

Like someone said, if you can't hook on drag radials, your driving or your track is the problem.

Damacman made very good points about hooking on a lowprofile tire, i see alot of breakage going around like that.

I also support the track only set up, it only takes me 10 minutes at most to swap out my rears

nittos are still great tires even at the track compared to a typical high preformance radial one may put on their stock 17" rim. Personally I cut 3/10ths of my 1/4 mile time after the Nittos (from Bridgestone potenzas same 255 ---> 275 too) even if my 60 foot is still 1.8 - 1.9. You may want to be prepared financially for a rear end rebuild if you go much stickier. I have heard stories of people breaking an axle from only the nittos, remember with everything else in life there is always a trade off so with traction comes wear and tear.

BanginStang97GT said:
I cut 1.59-1.7 with my MT et streets. They hook incredibly. Oh yah you live like 10min me I'm in Audubon. Do you run at atco? I'd be happy to show you how they hook after I get re tuned at the end of this month. We would also have a pretty good race s-trim vs. s-trim

I will probably be at Atco this tuesday night. You want to meet there?

I have nitto 275/40/17 on 17x8 bullits. 02 Procharged GT 5sd conv.I choose them because it's a daily rider that will see the track 2-3 x's a year. Tread life is a factor.I haven't been to the track yet. For daily riding and getting away from lights they are quite functional.I had these for a month.

I can't go this tues. becaue I have class. Me and my buddies usually go on thursday nights. I'm still waiting to get another tune. Detonation in a blower car is not good lol. If you want to try the et streets just let me know and we can meet up there one day and you can bolt them on. Trust me they hook. Just e-mail me at [email protected].

el_kid_1 said:
Shoul I upgrade my rear axles before going with slicks?

YES. I would rather have the car in the shop for an upgrade, than have the car towed away from the track to the garage for a repair.

New differential, axles, weld the axle tubes and torque boxes. After that, drop the clutch at 6000rpms :nice: