Which driveshaft? (IRS)

BennyBlown2v

Dec 9, 2004
Carmel, INdiana
I'm puting an 04 Cobra IRS in my 2004 GT. I have figured out everything I need (ABS sensors, e-brake cables) except I'm confused on which driveshaft I need. I wouldn't think the 03/04 Cobra shaft would work, being much shorter because of the T56 trans...

Can I use my stock GT shaft, and if so what parts do I need to hook it up to the rear diff? Also, I've read a few places that I need a 99 Cobra shaft, and then an adapter U-Joint (Like Precision 448 or something?) to mate it with my TR3650 trans, sound right???

Thanks to whoever can help me clear this up! :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

You will need to buy a special ujoint to convert the yokes over. They one I used was from Oreilly Auto Parts but I'm sure whatever part store you have can cross reference the numbers for you. the part is a Precision 448 ujoint.

10t.jpg

Notice the drive shaft's in the picture. The longer on is from the 99+ GT. The shorter is the 03 Cobra. You must swap those yokes over to the opposite shaft. You will need the above mentioned ujoint to do this.

NOTE: THIS ONLY APPLIES TO AN 03 COBRA SWAP. 99-01 IRS DO NOT NEED TO DO THIS

Guide from Stangpro.com

excellent write-up :nice:

Awesome input, thanks! Does anyone have the part number for the yoke??? The IRS I bought isn't coming with the driveshaft, so it might not come with the yoke either.

I have also heard that you can swap off the pinion flange from the rear diffs instead of swapping the yoke and adding the new Ujoint (i guess). What's involved in swapping out the pinion flange?

If both are possible, which is better (for balance/strength, etc)? :flag:

Heh, well I looked up the drive pinion flange install in my ford service manual...too involved to be worth it, I'll just swap the other side out like the guide on Stangpro.

Does anybody happen to know the part number for the cobra driveshaft flange though? I can't find that one...hrm...