Which Heads? 165's or 185's?

Hey guys, I was working on home-porting a set of E7's but my friend got a little too happy with the grinder and put a hole through one of the intake ports, so I'm gonna go ahead and get some new heads. I'm debating on the AFR 165's or the 185's. I'm going with a custom grind cam, trick flow track heat, and FMS roller rockers along with all the usual bolt ons. Right now this is gonna go on my current engine, but I'm gonna be building a 331 with forced induction later this year (probably winter) and want to swap it all over when its ready. Will the 185's be too much for right now?

• Sponsors (?)

IMO you should go with the 185's they may be a bit to much but you will "GROW IN TO THEM" this way you won't need to sell and get bigger ones when you do further mod's. But they may not be to big and work good the way your car is now.

bullitstang1313 said:
Hey guys, I was working on home-porting a set of E7's but my friend got a little too happy with the grinder and put a hole through one of the intake ports, so I'm gonna go ahead and get some new heads.

hahaha perfect excuse to get new heads...wish one of my friends would do that! :lol:

oh wait i have no MONEY! :(

I would like to know the same thing. I have a 1988 and I was going to get 185's but I heard with my pistons being stock I would have to get 165's. I don't plan for a stroker but I would like to run boost in the future.

AFR185 PT#1422 58cc would be my choice however they will not properly clear 99.9% of the time on a stock piston, stock shortblock. The Intake valve does not have the proper radial clearance and WILL hit the outside of the relief/pocket.