Which heads Trick flows or AFR's

Danny's 94Cobra

Oct 20, 2004
I got a new 306 shortblock with Dss forged low compression pistons this week at the fun ford weekend event. I am going to get a new set of heads this week should I get the Trick Flow Twisted Wedge or the AFR's? I also ordered a trickflow stage one came since the pistons are set for Trick Flow heads and thought I'd keep everthing matched. But I have had several people tell me the afr's are better heads and worth the extra money. Would like to get more input. Also does the tf stage 1 cam sound good or is there a better one? I am running a vortech s-trim with 12 pounds?

• Sponsors (?)

You answered your own question, If it's already set up for trick flow, then go with trick flow. The numbers arent that different from trick flow to AFR's. Stage 1 cam I have no experience with, I do like comp cams for off the shelf cams; but still no substitute for a custom grind.

alot of people like the trickflow heads because they have more meat to work with (port etc) but others like the afr heads cuz they are already cnc'd. it's a matter of prefrence really, if you plan on throwing down a bunch of extra money later on to get the heads ported and polished go with the TF's if not go with the afr's.

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input It is just a matter of letting the company know which ones to send. I was also more inclined to the TFS to keep everything matched trying to duplicate there head and cam package. The stage 1 cam is similiar to the e303 so I think it should work ok. Anyways if it does not preform good I can always order a custom grind. I just hope it does better than my 430hp to the wheels with everything stock.

It All Depends On What You Want Out Of The Motor. I Have A Set Of Trickflow W 2.02 Valves And I Love Them. But Im Also Running A High Compression Piston 10:8:1 Probe Piston. Dont Get Me Wrong Tho Afr's Are Good Heads To. My Dad Has A Set That Are 185cc And He Kills Me Down The Track

Either way make sure DSS sends you the right pistons in your motor. I run edelbrock heads and they sent me a motor with pistons made for Trickflow heads it cost me alot of money to fix their mistake as i didnt realize and put it together anyway. I ordered correctly and the invoice was even correct some jerk off just shipped me the wrong one. $1500 later its fixed but im still out a bunch of cash. :notnice:

Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input guys I went ahead and ordered the Trick Flows. I already varified the pistons with Dss and they are cut for the trick flows
Part # 3030 .030 low compression.I keep you all informed once it goes in next week. Thanks for the input

Well for what its worth the guy I brought my AFR 165's to match up and port my cobra intake said the AFR's were a very nice head. The only thing that had to be done was an exhaust clean up, which has to be done by hand and you will need on any head. When I asked him about a cam I mentioned the TFS stage 1 and he immediately told me about his dislike for trickflow products. Not starting anything but this is a guy who has been racing for 30 years.
*edit*
I didn't see that you ordered them, good luck

LXSTASY said:
Well for what its worth the guy I brought my AFR 165's to match up and port my cobra intake said the AFR's were a very nice head. The only thing that had to be done was an exhaust clean up, which has to be done by hand and you will need on any head. When I asked him about a cam I mentioned the TFS stage 1 and he immediately told me about his dislike for trickflow products. Not starting anything but this is a guy who has been racing for 30 years.
*edit*

Yes, AFR 185s vs the TW heads. The 165s vs the TWs and the trickflows will outflow it. the Twisted wedge heads are inbetween the 165 and 185 in flow rates. Yes AFRs are nice heads, but when the question is 165s vs the trickflow I would go with the trickflow. There is even more porting to be done to the heads, which the 165s have little left if you have ever looked in the ports.

Steve, not to get into a pissing contest but the TW BARELY outflow the AFR165, yet they should be compared to the AFR185 due to the port cross sectional area. Many people assume that since the CC of the intake port of the TW is ~170cc it should be compared to the AFR165, but the truth is that this 170cc port is shorter and wider than the AFR165 port, thus it can not be concidered the same. Port cross sectionals area is what really needs to be looked at when comparing the TW's to any other head. Please no one take this as a AFR versus TW post, its simply a post to enlighten those reading it and teach them something they may not know.

Also Steven your misinformed about there not being material left for porting, I know of a certain guy in RI that offers ported AFR165's with an approx 190cc intake runners. Maybe Jason@AFR can also confirm or dismiss that the AFR165 and 185 head start life as the SAME casting. I have heard this many times before, but it'd be interesting to know for sure because if they did I think it'd put away a lot of the myth that AFR's can't be ported. :cheers:

LXSTASY said:
*edit*

When my friend Nicks car is running we'll see who makes the better head. Don't be afraid though Dan, its just a junk trickflow headed 302 so ya got nothing to worry about. The dude who's "been racing for 30 years" so he has to be right, right?? :shrug: You game? :D He's doing my old combo the right way and is taking my advice for the build up. Ported rpm manifold (Tmoss ported), FTI cam (my old cam) 75mm tb, TW heads. He already has the manifold and cam.

With that said, even though most of you know i'm very pro Trickflow, i'll say flat out an afr 165 is NOT limited and is the same casting as the 185 head. Just priced a bit steep for my taste. $1500 for a 165 head after a spring upgrade is unjustifiable for me. Now, a 185 is another story.

Either head will make more than enough power. Pick your poison. I think the reason people compare the 165 and the TW is because their both the 2 main heads guys choose for their stock shortblock 302 build up's.

If you are using a stock bottom end i wouldnt suggest that you use a 185cc head. Now if you have a stroked engine it will help out alot. They do make a 165cc head that works great on a stock bottom end. When I put together my motor i called all sorts of places and they all told me pretty much the same thing.

DO NOT RUN 185's ON THE STOCK SHORTBLOCK!!! They will NOT clear without notching the pistons, and I personally wouldn't notch the hyper pistons. Some say they get away with it but they are either extremely lucky, or running a smaller than stock cam. :rolleyes:

If you have aftermarket pistons that will allow the use of 185's, go 185's over the 165's.

I would not use 185's over 165's on a stock short block. TMC posted a link a while ago with a dyno run on a stout combo. They used 165's and made good power then switched to 185's, the 185's made more peak power but the 165's made more power under the curve. The article clearly stated (or implied) that 165's are better suited for 302 blocks than 185's. I'm not sure if a custom cam set up for 2 diff. engines (mainly for just diff heads all else the same) would yeild the same results. But the article gave me some food for thought.

igotyofire said:
even on stock displacement? i dont see when a 185 head comes into a 302 equation....maybe if if ya revving it past 6000rpm a head with bigger ports will become benefitial?

With the vortech he has I'd opt for the larger heads. The increased flow of the heads will make for a more effcient blower combo, and thus they may help to reduce inlet air charge temps (that is if the head is more of a restriction than anything else in the intake tract.) We all know (at least I assume we do) that compressed air heats up making for a less dense (less oxygen rich) air charge. By reducing restrictions AFTER the blower and before the cylinder the air is compressed less (boost is a measure of back pressure, not partcularly airflow) and this will/should reduce the incoming air charge temp for a given pulley size (boost may very well go down). Does that make sense to you?