Which is the best electric radiator fan?

lxsteed said:
Hey Mike, I just upgraded to a Mark VIII fan, I am also upgrading the alternator too. I'm using the painless wiring kit for fans and a 75amp relay. Its kinda messy right now, but I'm going to clean it up as soon as my alternator gets here from PA Performance. Check it out:

Mark_VIII_Fan005.jpg

Mark_VIII_Fan006.jpg

Mark_VIII_Fan003.jpg

Mark_VIII_Fan004.jpg

Mark_VIII_Fan001.jpg

Mark_VIII_Fan002.jpg
Hey Brian,
what is a Mark VIII Fan? Is it from a Lincoln or is it a brand?? What did ypuo with the overflow bottle?

• Sponsors (?)

Its from a lincoln Mark viii. As you can see in his pics, his overflow bottle is gone and has been replaced by the soda bottle. Im getting rid of my Mark viii because it draws so much power. Im going to put on the Ramchargers fan that i have bought. Im just to lazy to do the swap at the moment

:nice:i have a taurus 3.8 fan in my stang only on low speed(taurus fan has high and low speed)i still have the stock alt.it works fine keeps the car at 180. when it comes on it does dip the volt guage for a couple of secs and at night i can tell when it comes on because every thing dims for those couple of secs.i have the 3g set up just don't have time to install.junkyard has them pretty cheap but i got new.i used a fan controller to wire it up.i got help from this forum.i installed it in the begining of the summer to make sure it worked. :D

This is what I want to do. I went to Discount Auto Parts, they sell a Imperial electric fan. It is a 16" fan, pulls 1700cfm and it draws 13.7amps. I want to use the existing shroud. I plan to center the fan in the middle of the shroud. The thickness is only 3 7/8". I don't think I will neeed a bigger altenator. Anyone using this setup??

Mike T

TIMMY2734 said:
If you dont run an alternator, you have a 12 volt system. If you do run an alternator, like most you have a 14 charging system

We are not talking chrging system. The car has a 12 volt battery. Its a 12 volt system. It uses the alternator to charge the battery, Makes no differnce what it charges.

The proform is junk. Don't buy it. The fastening brackets are not engineered correctly and easly break loose. I bought one and in the middle of installing it, it broke.

The brackets that secure it to the radiator screw into a threaded insert on the fan shoud. That insert is simply press fit, where I feel it should be press fit, then welded. Long story short, if you tighten it, the threaded inserts come out, and the fan is useless.

90silverstang said:
This is what I want to do. I went to Discount Auto Parts, they sell a Imperial electric fan. It is a 16" fan, pulls 1700cfm and it draws 13.7amps. I want to use the existing shroud. I plan to center the fan in the middle of the shroud. The thickness is only 3 7/8". I don't think I will neeed a bigger altenator. Anyone using this setup??

Mike T

yeah thats the one im using. works fine. i was a little hesitant to put it on but the stock clutch fan wouldnt clear the charger pulleys. best pics i have of the fan install:

engine003.jpg

engine006.jpg

AXIStang said:
yeah thats the one im using. works fine. i was a little hesitant to put it on but the stock clutch fan wouldnt clear the charger pulleys. best pics i have of the fan install:

engine003.jpg

engine006.jpg
the proform fan works fine..didint break for me..also half the price of black magic

Does anybody know how many continuous amp the 3.8L fan draws? I have an 95 amp alternator that is brand new, I don't run my a/c except on the highway, and I only have a cd player. Do you think it would be alright?

Here's what I use on one of my cars. A Griffin 31 x 19 Aluminum Rad., a Ford Focus dual 11" fan set-up with the Focus shroud, a flow-cooler plate riveted to the back Impellar on the stock water pump. I wired the dual fans up individually and control them manually. This set-up has kept my car cool either doing 9 sec passes at the track or driving 20 or so miles to the local cruise-in on a hot summer evening. Best thing is I have about $20 in the fan set-up with the wiring/switches and it looks like a bolt-on with the 31 x 19 radiator. Just my 2 cents.

Tater