Which Motor Would Be Best For A Daily Driver?

I am considering three different motors for my mustang. The first being a DSS pro bullet 306 with a vortech s-trim. The second being a DSS pro bullet 331 with a vortech s-trim. And finally the third being a CHP 347. I want something that would be a daily driver and also be a killer on the track. Any suggestions, experiences or comments are appreciated. :D

• Sponsors (?)

i would am doing a built 302 with a nice head/cam/intake and a s-trim and with the right driveing and suspenion mods and 10lbs of boost it is worth 10's in thw quarter. says the article in the 5.0 mag with the mods above a s-trim and a stock 100,000+ mile long block.

here is what i gotta say.. Not DSS and Not CHP..

Look at these companies if you want a short block/long block.. Keith Craft or bennett racing..

I have a 331 w/ a s trim thats pushin 480 rwhp on a street tune, very mild tune.. U need suspension and a tranny to be able to hold that kind of power to the ground..
If u want a killar combo, get a 331 w/ a sportsman, R or an A4 block, all forged internals, balanced an blue printed of course.. Set the compression to about 8.8:1 or to 9.1.. U want more motor then boost in a street car.. U dont need ur car to push out 15 lb of boost, have all motor an then 10 #.. thats plenty.. THe only reason why i say those compression is cuz u can still disconnect ur supercharger an have a fast n/a motor, if u put ur compression to 8.5 or even 8.1 like alot of people will tell u, u put that motor up against a 8.8 or 9.1, ur low end wont have a problem theres will if u guys raced ur motors only.. Plus u dont need to put ur motor under all that boost..

with that combo u can have a 520 rwhp street tune if u want, i wanted a little less cuz my suspension isnt up to par yet.. But if u could stick that power to the street nothing will touch you..

I prefer the AFR heads then the TFS... I have the 185 heads with a mild port, upgraded the springs for the higher rev, for vavle float mainly.. Get a nice mild street cam, u dont need a wild cam for a street car.. Its all about driveabilty, if u like the jerking feeling where the car feels like ur riding a bull at 2100 rpm then get a big cam.. me IMO i love the feeling of being able to put my clutch in at 1200 rpm.. A nice upper intake, i have the TFS track heat intake, kind of wanted the RPM II but didnt have the money, but thats a very nice intake.. Get 42# injectors or higher, I wished I would have bought the 55 low impedence honestly, get rid of the FMU unit that vortech offers.. Get a nice size fuel system, and u should be good !

The reason i said no to CHP an DSS is mainly a rep that my racing company has had with there customers who purchased motors from those companies.. But thats 1 racing company out of a million with there own thoughts.. Also the fact that my good friends had similiar issues with there motors, they too purchased from DSS and CHP.. but whatever go the route u want, but thats my .02 for ya .. everything that i said is all MY opinions only !!

ur jumping in some nice pricy stuff here, remember there are a chit load of things u have to consider when makin that kind of power, safety being one, fuel , proper break in period of the engine, computer managment, airflow in and out and tons of other stuff.. But once she gets going an u feel that power, MAN its amazing !!

The transmission I currently have is a TKO II from D&D Performance. The gears are 3.73 and I mostly drive through the city with the occasional highway trip here and there. The reason I considered dss and chp is that is what I mostly see and the only bad things I heard about them were from owners errors.
93Cobra12: Thanks for all the input. The r302 block I wanted just for the extra security.

I too am looking to upgrade to a shortblock in the near future. I run a kb2.2 w/ 3.73s and see minimal highway use, but is daily driven (30 miles a day). I live very close to D.S.S. and was looking at the pro bullet 306, as the price tag barely tips the $2000 mark. So I am in the same ballpark as yourself. I am interested to hear more about these daily driven monsters.

haha maybe its just me but isnt 450rwhp still a grip of power to run on the street? Just wait til it rains, see how fun it is then. I'm gonna throw an s trim on my built 302 and plan on getting 450-500rwhp out of it and thats totally enough for me on the street. I've driven in some 600+ hp cars on the street and they are just plain NUTS, almost unstreetable haha

good luck though,

Drew