Which Motor Would Be Best For A Daily Driver?

• Sponsors (?)

here is what i gotta say.. Not DSS and Not CHP..

Look at these companies if you want a short block/long block.. Keith Craft or bennett racing..

I have a 331 w/ a s trim thats pushin 480 rwhp on a street tune, very mild tune.. U need suspension and a tranny to be able to hold that kind of power to the ground..
If u want a killar combo, get a 331 w/ a sportsman, R or an A4 block, all forged internals, balanced an blue printed of course.. Set the compression to about 8.8:1 or to 9.1.. U want more motor then boost in a street car.. U dont need ur car to push out 15 lb of boost, have all motor an then 10 #.. thats plenty.. THe only reason why i say those compression is cuz u can still disconnect ur supercharger an have a fast n/a motor, if u put ur compression to 8.5 or even 8.1 like alot of people will tell u, u put that motor up against a 8.8 or 9.1, ur low end wont have a problem theres will if u guys raced ur motors only.. Plus u dont need to put ur motor under all that boost..

with that combo u can have a 520 rwhp street tune if u want, i wanted a little less cuz my suspension isnt up to par yet.. But if u could stick that power to the street nothing will touch you..

I prefer the AFR heads then the TFS... I have the 185 heads with a mild port, upgraded the springs for the higher rev, for vavle float mainly.. Get a nice mild street cam, u dont need a wild cam for a street car.. Its all about driveabilty, if u like the jerking feeling where the car feels like ur riding a bull at 2100 rpm then get a big cam.. me IMO i love the feeling of being able to put my clutch in at 1200 rpm.. A nice upper intake, i have the TFS track heat intake, kind of wanted the RPM II but didnt have the money, but thats a very nice intake.. Get 42# injectors or higher, I wished I would have bought the 55 low impedence honestly, get rid of the FMU unit that vortech offers.. Get a nice size fuel system, and u should be good !

The reason i said no to CHP an DSS is mainly a rep that my racing company has had with there customers who purchased motors from those companies.. But thats 1 racing company out of a million with there own thoughts.. Also the fact that my good friends had similiar issues with there motors, they too purchased from DSS and CHP.. but whatever go the route u want, but thats my .02 for ya .. everything that i said is all MY opinions only !!

ur jumping in some nice pricy stuff here, remember there are a chit load of things u have to consider when makin that kind of power, safety being one, fuel , proper break in period of the engine, computer managment, airflow in and out and tons of other stuff.. But once she gets going an u feel that power, MAN its amazing !!

The transmission I currently have is a TKO II from D&D Performance. The gears are 3.73 and I mostly drive through the city with the occasional highway trip here and there. The reason I considered dss and chp is that is what I mostly see and the only bad things I heard about them were from owners errors.
93Cobra12: Thanks for all the input. The r302 block I wanted just for the extra security.

I too am looking to upgrade to a shortblock in the near future. I run a kb2.2 w/ 3.73s and see minimal highway use, but is daily driven (30 miles a day). I live very close to D.S.S. and was looking at the pro bullet 306, as the price tag barely tips the $2000 mark. So I am in the same ballpark as yourself. I am interested to hear more about these daily driven monsters.

haha maybe its just me but isnt 450rwhp still a grip of power to run on the street? Just wait til it rains, see how fun it is then. I'm gonna throw an s trim on my built 302 and plan on getting 450-500rwhp out of it and thats totally enough for me on the street. I've driven in some 600+ hp cars on the street and they are just plain NUTS, almost unstreetable haha

good luck though,

Drew