which oil is best?

• Sponsors (?)

My '02 seems to like the 5w-30 over the 5w-20, less noise and still runs strong. If you want sysnthetic, Mobile 1, Redline, or Amsoil are the three I like. I recently switched back to Mobil1 from Amsoil because my cost on Amsoil went up.

I have always ran Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic in all of my mustangs with zero problems... Did the 99 Cobra call for 5w-20 or 5w-30? Are you checking the oil right after you shut the car off, because I think the Cobra comes with a windage tray stock and it may take a little longer for the oil the drain back into the crankcase. I have also noticed with the mobil one sythetic it seems to be more prone to burn a little. All of my mustangs have used a little oil when I switched to mobil 1. Dont know why, no smoke or anything...
I dont know if I would ever use 10w-30 on a 4.6, if you have ever had the valve covers off you will notice how small the return oil valleys are...

I use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in my truck but I have found that my Mustang 'likes' Motorcraft synthetic. It doesn't burn hardly any and the engine seems to run smoother with the Motorcraft synthetic than Mobil 1. FWIW, I have always used 10w-30 in my 98 GT. 5w seems too thin to me ... -my opinion-

Ive used Royal Purple and didnt notice any differance but $7.00 per qt. Now I've got a 7qt pan so no more royal purple for me. Cant go wrong with Motorcraft. I'm putting a blower on now and I heard full-synthetic oil should not be used with a blower application because of blow-by. Motorcraft 5W-30 all the way!!

Been using 10W30 Royal Purple for as long as I can remember. In my 5.0's that I had, my '97 VR6 GTI (very highly modded car) and now in my present car the 35th limited. I use K&N oil filters also, although I would use a dealer one too, the two seem best to me. Anyways no problems ever. The 4.6 can take 10W30 without question, IMO. My car has 108k on it, and I have plenty of fun with it, so, if it were a problem i'd probably be the first to know :)

5literstang said:
it calls for 5w 20....but has anyone used 5w 30 in the dohc?

Yes, many people have.

IIRC, starting in 2001, Ford made the recommendation to switch to 5w-20 in their engines. Reason? CAFE. A fancy moniker for Corporate Average Fuel Economy. It's meaningless to consumers, but if you are a manufacturer, it saves you money if your fleet of vehicles can have a higher miles per gallon rating (or something to that effect). The *slightly* thinner 5w-20 oil helps fuel economy ratings and therefore raises Ford's CAFE rating.

Still with me? Bottom line is that you can run 5w-20 or 5w-30 oil. It doesn't matter. The '99 and '01 DOHC engine are essentially the same (ie - no different tolerances or any of that mumbo jumbo).

I have used 5w-30 oil and suffered no ill effects even though my '01 calls for 5w-20. It's more important to keep tabs on your oil level on a regular basis and make sure you change your oil/filter accordingly.

:cheers:

Outlaw97GT said:
Oh no here we go again with the oil war..:rolleyes:

Seriously. If you change your oil regularly like most people on here do (well I hope anyway), then synthetic probably provides little or no benefit unless you're racing the car on a regular basis. Motorcraft does just fine for me. Its the only oil I've used since I got the car.

Dragstr05 said:
Seriously. If you change your oil regularly like most people on here do (well I hope anyway), then synthetic probably provides little or no benefit unless you're racing the car on a regular basis. Motorcraft does just fine for me. Its the only oil I've used since I got the car.

That is what I use also, Motorcraft synthetic blend 5w30 with a Wix or Motorcraft oil filter.