Which port goes to which on 4-disc M/C?

On a stock 4 wheel disc master cylinder, such as one from a 1996 V6 Mustang that I used, does it matter which ports are used for the front or rear brakes? I assume it does not, but since I regularly see the rear bowl going to the front lines, I did it that way. I would suspect that it doesn’t matter, and that front/rear bias is dealt with in caliper piston sizing or proportioning valves.
Now I’d like to know if that was correct.

• Sponsors (?)

That's my point- there is no larger bowl... it appears to be one large reservoir:
UM390382.jpg

I would suspect that it doesn’t matter, and that front/rear bias is dealt with in caliper piston sizing or proportioning valves.
Now I’d like to know if that was correct.

I looked it up in AllData. All the proportioning is delt with at the HCU/ABS box. The car has a funny order for bleeding because of that. If you are just going to plumb the thing in, use which ever you want and then plumb in what you need to the circuit to get the pressure correct.

The front brake line should be the rear most port of the MC.

Although it is not readily apparent from the outside, there is normally a spring located between the piston in the front bore of the MC and the piston in the rear bore. This allows the rear piston to move forward slightly sooner than the front, thus activating the front brakes first. If the rear brakes locked up first, then the car is more susceptible to having the rear spin out.

Or at least that is what my week long, in house, ASE training taught me back in the 70's (which also included 4 wheel Vette disc brakes.)