Which Supercharger to Get??

admdavs

Feb 25, 2004
Chicago
I am deciding which to get for my '02 Roush Stage II - either the Kenne Bell or the Vortech turbo- both run about the same price $4K or so and though I would love to stick with all of the Roush parts- their charger is like $8K and much too much for my taste- does anyone have opinions about which supercharger would work best- I'm not looking to do serious racing or anything- I just want to get my 0-60mph times down in the high 4's/low 5's- thanks in advance for any suggestions. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

It really just depends on what you will be doing with the car. Id say for you, you would like the KB blower more. Its basically instant boost and more torque down low than you can shake a stick at. Thats where my money, if I had it, would go. You talk about not wanting to spend the 8k, but honestly, the first 4k for the supercharger kit is just the beginning. Oh and go to T&J for your tune and everything. Their kit has quite a large following here, just look around. Good luck with your car.

KBs are like 5K(WAY too much for me for a little more power stock to stock...but less potential), prochargers are between like $3300 and $3750,vortecs are around the same...but I dont like the air to water intercooler with the Vortec, personally I dont like it and just seems like the water will heat ALOT and will add more weight anyways...I am for prochargers,thats what I am getting.

Cobra5337 said:
you dont have to get the aftercooler with vortech, you could get it then buy the air to air intercooler.

Yea you could do that, but I think you would need custom piping...I am talking about how it comes STOCK (if you will LOL).Those intercoolers are like 750-1000 big ones for a good one from procharger...luckly the procharger kits come with one.Changing the Vortec to an air to air would be a pain if you did the install yourself (like I would) and would be a pain in your pocket if a shop did it.BTW, on a side note, I think KBs are very good SCs, but are they woth $4895....I dont think so. :rlaugh:

ok

nothing beats the KB blower.. yeah they dont make too much more peak HP as a centrificle the power band is much nicer.. instead of full boost at high RPM of the vortech you get full boost right after idle..

hotmustang331, you should atleast ride in a kb'd gt before you say it isnt worth it. I have ridden in both a novi 2000 blown gt and a kb gt and the kb was a lot more fun IMO. I am buying one because I want to focus more on street fun than track time. And for that matter the kb's are doing pretty good at the track as well. I think it all matters on what you want out of your car. Sure the kb cost a bit more but its an addiction and the feeling of instant boost easily makes up the price difference in my mind.

I have the vortech and love it , but I am going to be getting the paxton air to air intercooler to go with it soon I hope ....... vortech will put you around 360-380 rwhp without intercooler ...... which is more than the roush , but if you have th money , get the KB its a beast

stangluver02 said:
hotmustang331, you should atleast ride in a kb'd gt before you say it isnt worth it. I have ridden in both a novi 2000 blown gt and a kb gt and the kb was a lot more fun IMO. I am buying one because I want to focus more on street fun than track time. And for that matter the kb's are doing pretty good at the track as well. I think it all matters on what you want out of your car. Sure the kb cost a bit more but its an addiction and the feeling of instant boost easily makes up the price difference in my mind.

Well if I knew anyone around the bastrop area that had one, I would go for a ride :D But really no piece of metal/aluminum or whatever it is made of is worth that kind of money.Its kinda like the cobras, they are alot faster than my GT, but are they worth like 35K?No way, thats why I didnt buy one....but if I find one thats around 25K then I may just sell the GT LOL.Anyways I really dont want my engine in full boost that early, seems ALOT more likly to have detonation.But its not just the direct cost, its the indirect cost....installation, and if you do it yourself its going to be a pain.

Ok this is way :OT: but I was wondering, how much power would some FR500 heads and their intake combo net on my GT?I would love to have them, but the heads are like $2500 and the intake is like $1600...also how much do these heads flow at .600 inches of lift on the intake side....I doubt they will add as much as a SC, eventhough it would cost just about the same amount of $$$$.