White smoke at startup

Spreadman

two wheels
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Houston, TX
I did a search, but wasn't satisfied with the answers.

When I start up, there is white sweet smelling smoke coming out of my pipes and it lasts until the motor is up to operating temp. I know it's coolant. I don't have any obvious leaks on the intake.

I just got the car back from the shop though. Had a new radiator, upper rad. hose, coolant tank and had the system flushed. Ran over a chair. :(

I don't think it's a head gasket since I drive the car hard....has 125k miles and it JUST started happening.

I'm thinking that when he flushed the system, that it cracked the intake. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Spreadman said:
I did a search, but wasn't satisfied with the answers.

When I start up, there is white sweet smelling smoke coming out of my pipes and it lasts until the motor is up to operating temp. I know it's coolant. I don't have any obvious leaks on the intake.

I just got the car back from the shop though. Had a new radiator, upper rad. hose, coolant tank and had the system flushed. Ran over a chair. :(

I don't think it's a head gasket since I drive the car hard....has 125k miles and it JUST started happening.

I'm thinking that when he flushed the system, that it cracked the intake. Any ideas?

If the intake cracked it would most likely start skipping(because it will put coolant on a sparkplug).Also if it was a coolant leak into the exhaust it would be there all the time not just at warm up.

white99gt said:
If the intake cracked it would most likely start skipping(because it will put coolant on a sparkplug).Also if it was a coolant leak into the exhaust it would be there all the time not just at warm up.
When I first start it up, it does "skip", but goes away after a few minutes.

Any ideas?

My 5.0 Cougar did the same thing w/the sweet smell so I knew it was coolant also. My lower intake gasket was busted and it happend at around 150k miles. I had to buy a kit that contained a bunch of gaskets for $95 and it worked perfect.