Who has deleted smog?

Therian

The Highlander
Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Waterloo, Ontario
As some of you may know, a couple weeks ago, I had a small engine fire. One of the casualties was an EGR wiring harness and loom, that comes out of the fenderwell, splits, and then goes to the canisters on the main Smog tube (I believe two other wires, then also go to the EGR itself - I think one is red, and one is white or green)

Does anyone have their old wiring laying around that I could grab? If not, does anyone have more information on these wires so that I know exactly what is going on?

I'd like to simply get replacement wiring, but if necessary I will solder some new wires in.

Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

Here's a picture for reference. It was the best I could do from a quick search

smog.jpg

I believe I've indicated the right set of wires. The picture on the left shows the wiring coming out of the fender. The picture on the right shows the harness that was destroyed.

I won't be able to take a picture myself for a couple days unfortunately.

I have seen that hard plastic tubing at AZ, Advance or some chit....you can use small dia hose and just replace/reconnect them..
Did you roach the lines up inside the fender or from that tri-hose connection to the motor side??

You need this side??

4841.jpg

I think that's the side I need. Kruegs74 PM'd me and said that he believes they are vaccuum lines. I think he may be right. It would really help if I could get out to my car to confirm, but it's not a possibility right now.

I'm positive, this is the wiring harness that connects to the 'canisters' on the larger diameter tube that comes from the smog pump, snakes through the passenger side of the engine compartment, and then connects to the metal tubing which goes directly to the midpipe. These vacuum wires also connect to the EGR I believe.

Here's a diagram I found (replicated from the one that was once under the hood)

0900823d801dd569.gif

Unfortunately, this doesn't offer conclusive evidence. I think we've figured out what I need though. What do these vacuum tubes do? And why is there a need for a harness/pigtail (it's almost like that's where the alternator was arcing to, to start the fire...the harness is absolutely roasted)

Also for clarification, I'm pretty sure we're talking about the R and GN labelled lines on the diagram. If I recall, they split, with one of each colour going to a canister on the smog tube, and the other going to the EGR valve itself.

Those are definitely not wires. Just plastic tubes that get brittle with years. A few of mine broke a few years ago. I just bought rubber hose the size of the outside diameter of the tube and slide it over the tubing to make flexible joints where it broke. Then I ended up getting a chip and deleting all the smog stuff.

If you want to save it all, you can just use regular vacuum hose.

Yep, those are the vac lines. There's a 3 pack coming through by the MAF IIRC. I've also had to rig mine up after I sneezed on one and it broke.

The routing isn't important at all - just keeping the correct component with the slave solenoid is what matters (hence color coding). You could use all soft rubber line if you wanted. I've considered redoing mine so it comes through where the purge solenoid hose comes through, for instance.