WHo here has rebuilt their own T-5??

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I only ask because I am getting possibly a T-5 tranny that works other than the fact that the synchros are noisy. The gears work perfectly. Also, it's a 2.95 1st tranny.

It's cheap enough that i would consider rebuilding it.

I've found the kits from www.hanlonmotorsports.com for $160 with all the parts i would need. I also know the video exists and plan on getting it.

I have the PDF online manual and have been studying it. I am very mechanically inclined (and also a mechanical engineer) and am not afriad of attempting it at all.

I have read some posts in searches about people who have done it and found it easy. I'm looking for some new feedback.

Also, anyone know why hanlon's website is down? i can't get on there?

Summit sells a rebuild for $250, and there are a few on Ebay for $100. Is the hanlon kit still the best to get?

• Sponsors (?)

i did one, it was pretty easy. worked with 2 other kids in a class to do it, but we're pretty confident we could do it within 2-3 hours if given one to do again. and this was one of our trans's and it is back in the car running just fine. we used the d+d world class rebuild kit. as long as you are able to get off and press on bearings and gears you'll be fine.

I was in a group when we did it in auto tech school. After doing automatics it wasn't that hard. It is just tedious (sp?) because of the little parts that have to go in just right but besides that it wasn't that hard. When I do a clutch which will probally be soon I plan on doing a tranny rebuild. I've heard that grinding every other tooth off the syncros is better for making it go into gear fast and hard.

Just take your time, lay the parts out accordingly, and check and recheck specs. I did the input upgrade, 2nd and 3rd with the countershaft. IT lasted 3 years of drag strip abuse so I can't complain. I grenaded the trans so I just went with a new world class for the time being. Now the car is more street than track.

If you can swing it.. buy the Hanlon video that is offered... it will clear up a ton of stuff... plus you can set up a TV in the garage with a remote, and just watch and rebuild at the same time... rewind as needed... It worked for me... Plus... get either the D&D or the Hanlon Kit, although, the Hanlon kit is the only one with a tailshaft bushing included...

WHat is hanlon's website? I keep trying the one above but it won't load.

Also what is D&D's site?

Obviously i wouldn't buy the kit til i pull the trans apart and have a look.

I'm VERY bored this winter, so i need a project like this