Who's swapped from a street heat upper to a track heat on a h/c/i car?

90LX, the right cam will make the world of difference. You have good parts, but that cam probably isnt right. Either that or your tune is partailly to blame.

noslo90, suppose I buy a used track heat intake complete for say $300. The take the lower and my old street upper and sell it for $250-$275, thats $50 at most out of my pocket. Hows that not cost effective? Im trying to do this the most cost effective way. Ed C recommended the RPM for my car and from what i've seen, the rpm and track heat put out similar #'s. A track heat done the way I suggested is an easy cost effective swap IMO. Im just curious to see what people have actually gained in combos like mine. I asked Ed about the rpm2 and he recommended against it saying its too much for me unless I cam different and gear the car accordingly.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, i was looking at it from a new price prospective. If you can find a track heat for $300..which i find hard to do(not saying you won't/cant)...i see them going for $350+ used. Even then, your at $100+, which isn't that much more than you can buy just the upper for new. If you can get one and sell yours and only have an outlay of $50 or so...i guess, why not try it?

$100 still isn't that much...its just the #'s you'd see that isn't cost effect...dollars per hp.

I've never seen any decent track heat #'s that weren't anything special over #'s the street has put out, or ran. Sure, maybe on blown applications. I agree that the II isn't needed for anything below 6500rpm( or thereabouts),like i'm sure Mr. Curtis suggests. Same philosphy goes with the track heat..if you dont need the upper rpms..why switch? Yes, i know you aren't going to right now, just looking for some #'s. The II did pick up down low and felt so much better on the street than my modified tfs..even the rpm. I only had minimal drive time on it tho. When i state buing the II in my above post, or the holley, my n/a combos are geared/cammed accordingly...6800-7200+ rpm. I by no means suggested you try them, just stating what i'd do on another combo..not yours. Why not go with Mr. Curtis' advice and go rpm?

NoSlo90 said:
Why not go with Mr. Curtis' advice and go rpm?

Because i'm too lazy and then i'd have to buy gaskets and port the inlet on the intake so I can run the 75mm TB. I personally think on a car like mine, the rpm and track heat would net similar results. I know 86cobra had a trickflow combo a while ago stage 2 cam and a track heat and made 325hp to the wheels. IMO, the street heat is a slight restriction on my combo as is the 65mm TB. After selling both, I think it wont be too much ca$h outta my pocket and I think I could pick up around 12hp. As it sits now, cars pretty much done after 5600. I'd like to make it good to 6000-6200 and still have decent low end like I do now

I ran a trick flow combo about 4 or 5 years ago...albeit with an afm n-4 cam. Only had a few passes on it, with dr's it went 12.30's @ 110mph shifting at 5800 or so...going through the traps at like 6200 with 4.30's. This was with a street intake. That was a fun little combo.

I opened up the inlet on the rpm II to 75mm...took like 5 minutes. I agree on your tb decision...hell i ran a 90mm on my last n/a 306. :nice: