why cant i read my codes?

94gts

Jul 4, 2004
Carmel, New York
ok so today just for the hell of it i decide to pull my codes at work (was really bored). i KNOW that there is something to be pulled because my airbags are removed (atleast 1 code), my abs is disconnected (another code) and im sure there is other things that would show up.

so me and my boss (he is 60 and has been doing this for 40 years) plug the car into the scanner, and it says wait 60 seconds. well, we waited about 5 minutes and it still said it was reading. we tried several times but the car didnt respond to anything. yes, we hooked it up to the proper connectors in the engine bay.

so what is the deal? is there some trick with our cars or is mine just retarded:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

94gts said:
actually, yes it did that once.

BUT, ever since my h/c/i swap this year it does that once if you are sitting with the key in the "on" position
If it's just low-speed that comes on with the key in the on position, look for an open in the ECT circuit. When that circuit's open, the default is for the low speed fan to come on as a safeguard.

HISSIN50 said:
If it's just low-speed that comes on with the key in the on position, look for an open in the ECT circuit. When that circuit's open, the default is for the low speed fan to come on as a safeguard.

thats the engine coolant circuit right? how do you go about finding an opening?

94gts said:
ok so today just for the hell of it i decide to pull my codes at work (was really bored). i KNOW that there is something to be pulled because my airbags are removed (atleast 1 code), my abs is disconnected (another code) and im sure there is other things that would show up.

so me and my boss (he is 60 and has been doing this for 40 years) plug the car into the scanner, and it says wait 60 seconds. well, we waited about 5 minutes and it still said it was reading. we tried several times but the car didnt respond to anything. yes, we hooked it up to the proper connectors in the engine bay.

so what is the deal? is there some trick with our cars or is mine just retarded:shrug:

What kind of scanner do you have? I have the AutoXray Scanner and I have to setup (configure) the scanner to my car. I have to select the year and put 8th character of the VIN into the scanner. Maybe that is your problem. :shrug:

Methodical said:
What kind of scanner do you have? I have the AutoXray Scanner and I have to setup (configure) the scanner to my car. I have to select the year and put 8th character of the VIN into the scanner. Maybe that is your problem. :shrug:

it was a snap on. and yes we had to do all that info and we did put it in right

After you do the key on test you have to do the engine running test immediately after. Mine won't do a key on test twice you have to run the engine and do that test or unplug it and start all over.
I don't know if all code readers are like that but its what mine does.

94gts said:
thats the engine coolant circuit right? how do you go about finding an opening?
Probe the wires at the sensor and look for no reading (ergo an open circuit, which = a broken wire). When the puter doesnt get any engine coolant data, it has no idea if the motor is 60* or 220* so it allows the fan to turn-on just to be safe.

At this point, it sounds like this is a non-issue. Can you just use a paperclip to get codes that way (to rule out a puter issue and leave a scanner issue)?

Good luck.

Did you have it plugged in to the connector behind the PASSENGER side strut tower? I know I had a heck of a time trying to get engine codes from the ABS connector by the battery:rolleyes:
Josh